Esteemed Contributor

I am curious about boxed meal services such as Plated and Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, ect, but, they want you to sign up before you can select your meals.

That's like, "okay, give us $50/week, and then we'll show you differents shirts"

No!

Let me see my options first, and then I'll decide if it's worth my money.

And yes yes, I know, I know, that some think the the only way to eat is raw vegan, a.k.a. salads w/o any dressing.

Newsflash!

There is no ONE way to eat that is perfect for every single human body on this planet.

Has anyone here tried any of the boxed meal subscriptions?

What did you think of it, the good, the bad, and the ugly?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

I've been getting Home Chef orders now for the past 6 months or so. I've been really happy with the food. At first it seemed like a lot of prep, but I got over that and have come to really enjoy the results. I get 2 meals per week and you can always pause your service. With Home Chef, you get quite a few meal choices to pick from. Not sure how other services work, I've only ordered Home Chef.

Honored Contributor

Plaid, you don't have to pay to see the sample menus.  

Hello Fresh has next week's menu suggestions right on the home page.  

Honored Contributor

@@My son got hello fresh for awhile.They enjoyed the new recipes and learned a lot of different cooking techniques.They said that sometimes the food wasn’t as fresh as they would have liked so they were given credits.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I have checked out a number of these services online. Everyone I have looked at has sample menus if not the exact ones. 

I have never seen one that won’t tell you what food options you might have.

Respected Contributor
I use Hello Fresh and can select my meals on their app.
Respected Contributor

One of our local supermarkets (Safeway) has Plated meals available in the store (that is, no subscription). They rotate about six entrees every month or two. We've tried many and have been happy with our choices, for the most part. It's a nice way to try something different, they give you exactly what you need (you don't have to purchase a huge bottle of something of which you only need one tablespoon, for example), and it's kind of fun to do with others.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how these services are.  Most everyone is commenting only that you're able to see what's on the menu, not that the service is good or bad.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder how these services are.  Most everyone is commenting only that you're able to see what's on the menu, not that the service is good or bad.

If you do a search for "Hello Fresh,"  several threads come up.  They discuss other companies too. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Boxed Meals Services

[ Edited ]

A local grocery store has that service and I did try it.  I had no problems at all with the quality of the food although one time the produce was not as fresh as I would have liked.  The cooking instructions were easy to follow and I loved that they included every ingredient, including the spices.  But I ended it because other than holidays, birthdays, special dinners; I just don't like to cook that much.  I work all day and I don't want to spend time in the kitchen cooking after work.  Having meals delivered from restaurants; real food, from nice restaurants.  Not fast food or pizza.  That is a better option for hubby and me.  Or going out to eat dinner when the weather is nice.