Honored Contributor

It has become so prohibitively expensive to build Olympic venues and security has become such an issue, I think they should seriously consider discontinuing the Olympics.  People are just sitting ducks for a terrorist attack.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am glad Boston is out, I was against it from the beginning. We live about 45 minutes from Boston and we don't have to commute there to work. It would have effected so many people living and working there for years just for the set up. Traffic is a mess on a normal day and it would have been a debt that we would be paying for years. I commend Mayor Walsh on this decision and most Mass residents approve of his decision.

Trusted Contributor

Cities are insane for pursuing the Olympics.  Only L.A. and Atlanta came out of it without years or even decades of debt.  Three weeks of glory isn't worth the cost.  While Atlanta ended up debt free, the IOC said they'd never allow another games to operate that way, and we have facilities that are now worthless.  The tennis venue was essentially empty for years.  It's only recently found some purpose, and that's nearly 20 years later.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Boston? Nope.

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

Every city in recent history that's hosted the Olympics has been saddled with debt for years to come.  Look what happened in Athens.

Atlanta broke even because corps paid for it, but the IOC said they'd never let a city do that again.  Debt seems to be king, and the IOC dictates the rules.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I was so glad and relieved when Chicago lost their bid.  Just what Illinois needs, more debt . . . Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

Re: Boston? Nope.

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

It has become so prohibitively expensive to build Olympic venues and security has become such an issue, I think they should seriously consider discontinuing the Olympics.  People are just sitting ducks for a terrorist attack.

Then the terrorists win.

There are cheaper ways to host sports competitions, but the IOC wants everything huge and splashy.  As one person said a few years ago, the committee is looking for a place THEY'D like to vacation for three weeks.