Highlighted
Super Contributor

Boston is out of the running for the 2024 Olympics.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Super Contributor

Well.....I would be happy if that were the case......but I think you may be jumping the gun a bit.....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/07/27/boston-mayor-says-cannot-commit-olympic-bi...

Esteemed Contributor

Smiley SurprisedThe mayor stated he had to be assured that taxpayers would not have to pick up any costs:  the olympic committee IMO has been doing a lot of dancing around on that subject since the onset, so d/n think anyone is surprised.  Yeah!!  at last public officials look out for the taxpayers -- he s/b commended!

Esteemed Contributor

It's official - msn just posted newflash - Boston's out!

Respected Contributor

Every city in recent history that's hosted the Olympics has been saddled with debt for years to come.  Look what happened in Athens.

Respected Contributor

Boston people were never fully on board with this anyway, so it's best that they're out of the running.  They have enough taxes, fees, and money they have to pay for this and that just living in MA, so everyone was skeptical from the getgo.

It would have been fun, IMO, but probably not worth it in the end.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Smart mayor.

Esteemed Contributor

The people of Boston should thank their lucky stars they are out of consideration.    It cost a fortune to put on the Olympic Games and believe me the only people who get anything out of it are the contractors who build the facilities and restaurants, hotels, etc who get a shot in the arm during the two weeks the games are on for.  the only thing that the citizens get is a big PITA while the facilities are being built, more taxes and when it is over huge empty buildings that sit unused and acres of empty parking lots.  it is such a scam.  The cost to Greece for hosting the Olympics is still being paid off and one of the reasons their country is in financial trouble.

Honored Contributor

Let's not forget the increased traffic to an area already snarled with 'normal' traffic.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Let's not forget the increased traffic to an area already snarled with 'normal' traffic.

Yah! I believe they (olympic com) even had the audacity to state they would have "VIP"  lanes - to accommodate the privileged few, not the taxpayers (duh!).....