Super Contributor

My bookcases -- they're real!!

Bookcase 2015.jpg

Super Contributor

OK, 5925......I want your shelves. Where are they and how do I get them?  Smiley Very Happy
My mom needs those on her end wall in her living room!

Also, I saved a link some time ago for an "IKEA hack", that uses plain old, inexpensive white IKEA shelves with home made concealing trim added to a few 2x4s used to fill in space as needed. The result is the look of built-ins with nowhere near the cost. I will have to try and find it and post it here. In the meantime, here are two more similar links:

A more casual room look: IKEA Built Ins 1 

A little more finished built ins room look: IKEA Built Ins 2 

There are so many more if you do a search on Google for "IKEA shelves built in project" without the quotes.

Respected Contributor

We currently have four floor to ceiling bookcases that are about eight feet wide each. They were all filled and double stacked until last year when we redid the shelving in the den and culled ten boxes of books to donate. 

I have eye issues and read much less now but mr henny reads several books a week.  We have a charity that holds a huge annual book sale so we are donating a lot of the current books to them.

We still love holding a "real" book.

Many people do read rather than watch hours of tv every night.

I would show a book case rather than the rest of my home. I feel it would be an invasion of privacy to show my home to millions of people.

I do  find it interesting to see what they are reading.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

OK, 5925......I want your shelves. Where are they and how do I get them?  Smiley Very Happy
My mom needs those on her end wall in her living room!

Also, I saved a link some time ago for an "IKEA hack", that uses plain old, inexpensive white IKEA shelves with home made concealing trim added to a few 2x4s used to fill in space as needed. The result is the look of built-ins with nowhere near the cost. I will have to try and find it and post it here. In the meantime, here are two more similar links:

A more casual room look: IKEA Built Ins 1 

A little more finished built ins room look: IKEA Built Ins 2 

There are so many more if you do a search on Google for "IKEA shelves built in project" without the quotes.

Yes, my bookcases are from Ikea.  2 of the Billy cases with doors on each side and one in the middle with no door..so it's 3 separate bookcases but they are not connected - just bolted to the wall.

I wanted doors to avoid lots of dust. Also I purchased nickel-plated knobs at Lowes because the Ikea knobs looked cheap.

I purchased them in the store (a few years ago); paid for delivery + set up.  At the time the TOTAL cost for cases, delivery, set up came to about $700.

Respected Contributor

I've noticed that one man speaking for CNN had a copy of Louise Penny's All the Devils are Here positioned in a prominent spot in his bookcase.

Esteemed Contributor

The books in various backgrounds are interesting but I also enjoy the artwork they have displayed.  I think that is indicative of a person's interests and personality.

Respected Contributor

On twitter there is an account called roomrater that rates the rooms of the pundits on TV. Books were rated good but points were taken off if not arranged in an eye pleasing manner. Lamps should be turned on. The pineapple (in summer) was given extra credit leading to a ridiculous amount of pineapples on different counters to garner more points. Ratings were done on a 1-10 scale. It was fun to watch and see the pundit try to improve their ratings using the criticism and suggestions of roomrater. A glimmer of  fun in an otherwise discouraging and difficult time.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@tototwo   The backgrounds are not always a scene from their home or office....there was a recent report on the news about this...you can pick a background from different sources...and maybe a few people that are being interviewed have hired professionals to design a background for the live shots.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know many TV interviewers and interviewees are given copies of books to mention or review.   So their huge collections are probably gifts in many cases.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

You can tell some bookcases are real.  They are filled with books in the person's "cause" and will have several copies of the one they wrote recently.