Respected Contributor

I live in Southeast Mi & saw, heard & felt it...it was awesome! Did anyone else experience it?

Respected Contributor

I also live in Southeast Mi and saw a really bright flash of lightening. I thought it was a little odd to see lightning this time of year, but didn't think any more about it until I saw the news a couple of hours later. Apparently, we experienced a rare meteor sighting.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bolide on Tuesday night

[ Edited ]

The flash of light was really bright & the sound from it blowing up was really loud then continued on like rolling thunder, you could feel it too. The videos from cars & home security cameras show lots of different views & are worth searching for, 1 source is clickondetroit & it's the website for channel 4 in Detroit. It appeared to be like a hot air balloon shape with color at the bottom in my area & happened in an instant then gone. I'm 68 & don't think I'll be lucky enough to see something like that again, still in awe.

Respected Contributor

I wish I'd seen the actual meteor fall from the sky. That would have been awesome!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for mentioning this - I've never heard of a "bolide."  The videos are pretty great!   

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/possible-meteor-fireball-michigan-today-2018-01-16/

Super Contributor

Excuse my ignorance, but what in the heck, is Bolide?

Honored Contributor

A bolide is an extremely bright meteor especially one that explodes in the atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

I heard it and the house sort of lightly shook or vibrated .  It was 2  booms in succession

Respected Contributor

Wow, thats cool.  I would have love to experience something like that.

Last month, we had thundersnow which is supposedly kind of rare.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bolide on Tuesday night

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all who posted on my very first thread. As it turns out I live in the county where there might be some of the meteor that made it to the ground...people are out searching & it will be exciting if any meteorites are found. All I could think of tonight when I looked at the sky was again, again!