Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@mzlg wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Coquille wrote:

Why do people feel they have to yell their posts to get their point accross? We all have opinions and we should be accepting of everyone's ideas, thoughts, point of views, etc..

Why do people feel they have to be nasty to one another if one doesn't agree with them? People can always disagree and debate on any topic but try to be civil.

@Coquille- out of curiosity, what is your definition of "bold lettering?" What size font is too big and what size is acceptable? Just wondering for the future. My font is size "3." Is that too big or too small?

I know that I can't see squat when I try to read the posts on my phone. I turn the phone sideways but it's still way too small, even if I enlarge the screen with my fingers. Not worth the effort.

Please explain? Thanks!

@sunala, font size 3 is what I use too !  For me, I consider it is a "Goldilocks" size ... not too big and not too small ... just right !

~~~

long live the ... ellipses Woman LOL

@mzlg

I like 3 also, but I don’t know how to switch to it on an iPad.

@Noel7, you have to select the 3 font on each and every post.

Honored Contributor

I had to laugh at the one poster who decided this was a prime topic on which to berate what he calls something like "book-educated" people and to deride any form of rules of etiquette.

I don't think that we all need to be and Emily Post in order to abide by some guidelines. I don't slurp my soup, and I don't shout in caps online. So sue me. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I had to laugh at the one poster who decided this was a prime topic on which to berate what he calls something like "book-educated" people and to deride any form of rules of etiquette.

I don't think that we all need to be and Emily Post in order to abide by some guidelines. I don't slurp my soup, and I don't shout in caps online. So sue me. :-)

I  was in a Ramen restaurant last week and they said to slurp the soup.  So I did.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bold Lettering Posts

[ Edited ]

@stuyvesant wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I  was in a Ramen restaurant last week and they said to slurp the soup.  So I did.

@stuyvesant  That is correct because slurping soup, especially with ramen, is not impolite in other countries.

Spelling corrected.

ETA:  It can be considered impolite not to slurp in other cultures.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

suzyQ3 wrote:

I have to admit I found it puzzling, @suzyQ3.   Etiquette, to my way of thinking, is simple courtesy.    I think sometimes it's mixed up with hard-and-fast rules, but on the internet and in real life it really just boils down to taking others into consideration.   We don't need to change who we are to suit what others want, but still there's a way to be respectful of others.    I can't imagine being disdainful of this.

People love to say common sense is rare these days -- I think common courtesy is rare.   If we follow the "golden rule" it seems to me we want to at least try to be thoughtful of others, and that's part of what's called "etiquette" and it applies in real life and also on the internet.   

Maybe one of the reasons we see complaints about people being angry, rude, and even cruel when they post online is partly a result of having one set of standards in real life encounters and a different set of standards with anonymous postings, forgetting we're interacting with other human beings here, too -- just as we do face-to-face.    

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of things come to mind.    I think some of us forget that the way each post appears from one person to the next can vary significantly.   If we all shared a screen shot of a post as it's displayed on our device, they wouldn't all look the same.   

The customized font family, size, color and even the bold text can be interpreted in a different way on different devices.   

So, what I see when I post and read isn't always exactly the same as what others see.

As far as the readability of certain font families, sizes, colors, or boldness, and use of paragraphs and white space, there actually are some choices that have been found to be more reader-friendly to most people.   

But I stress "to most people" because we still will find personal differences.    I remember a thread a long time ago asking what each poster found the most readable, and not everyone had the same opinion.

My thinking is that we post because we want to share and we hope someone else will read what we've shared.   If we know that the way we format it is hard to read for many, and this causes them to skip over the posts, I guess I don't understand doing it.   I can be stubborn, for sure, but still I pay attention to respectful feedback from others and in some cases I make changes if they "feel" authentic to who I am.   

As others said, no formatting is universally perfect and no matter what we choose it can't satisfy everyone.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of the way posts are written, have you ever tried to read crazy colors? They truly hurt my eyes.

We have quite a selection of crazy colors that are painful and just about impossible to read.  This blue is another crazy color.

Sorry I won't do this again but just sayin', these colors are PAINFUL!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think after you've been on these boards a while you know who uses bold text because it's easier to read, and who uses it because they believe whatever they have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say.

And that's a fact.

I come here occasionally but i don't pay attention to anyone's names or what type they use. I can't imagine spending so much time or energy here that I would actually be aware of such things or that I would care. I have never thought of Large or bold type as offensive or as carrying some hidden meaning. If one is that invested in something silly like these boards, it's probably time to step away, breathe, call a real friend, go for a walk, pet the cat, etc! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Yelling is using ALL CAPS, by using just bold lettering lets the reader know that you want them to listen to what you are saying. 

@ID2

I said what I think of certain types of etiquette in another post in this thread. In my opinion, some highly book educated person, with little if any real life experiences, decided this to elevate their already self belief, that they are above those in the working class.

If I understand what people are saying, do I care if it is grammatically correct/spelled correctly or in the specificity of this topic, bold or CAPS?  Just as some self congratulatory/highly esteemed and arrogant person created what came to be called Roberts Rules.

Does or did that change my way of communicating, in an understandable way, how I communicated to large groups in real life situations?  From this high school non-graduate, nope, and I did just fine.getting it done.

Some in big centers/restaurants/deliberations as jury foreman, and many meetings with large groups of politicians at our city's City Hall. It isn't how you say things, it is what you say, same with typing communicating to me.

Your clarifications on someone's idea of proper Internet etiquette will help some, but only those that feel it is important.

hckynut

@hckynut- sorry John but I have to respectfully disagree with what you're saying.  It appears you're not aware of what etiquette is, and it really has nothing to do with which fork goes closest to your plate, and which side of the plate your water glass goes.

It's basically common sense. It's trying not to offend anyone, to be polite, to make others comfortable, and to be accepting of others. Book learning is important to me, maybe not the most important thing in the world, but good manners are something we all should follow.

Spelling and grammar also mean a lot to me. I find it hard to read sentences that are poorly structured, words that are misspelled, and are grammatically incorrect. It doesn't take a long time to make one's writing legible.

I guess I should duck now because I know there are several people here who disagree with me. But, that's what makes the world go 'round.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I don't care if someone puts their posts in bold print or in caps, why would I care about that, because someone said I should be bothered by it??  How dumb is that!