Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone tried or heard of this food service and if so, what do you think?  My Grandson and his wife subscribe to the two person plan.  They get three meals a week for two people, cost 60.00.  Everything sent fresh.  No hormones in the chicken or beef.  Vegetables and all the fixings, also a big recipe card and step by step in preparing the meals.  They showed me everything and quite pleased with it.  I live alone and always trying to figure out what to eat. End up buying too much, and wasting.  The two meal plan. would also give me six meals.  The dishes look good and stuff I might never cook.  Also proportion in amount, so no over eating.  I googled it and it might work for me.  You can stop at any time.  I might actually save money.

Honored Contributor

We have used Blue Apron  numerous times. And think it is well worth it. The food has always been fresh and the recipes are SO GOOD. What I like about it, is the food is exactly the portion you need. There are no half used bottles of something you will not use again. 

And it is fun to make. We pitch in and the meal is done. And we have always liked the meal.

My husband saw the delivery last time. It was a man delivering it to our house. Guess that is why everything is always fresh and the freezer packs are still frozen. We have been pleased with the service and will continue to use them.

Trusted Contributor

We have used Blue Apron, Plated and Hello Fresh, enjoyed them all.

Love that everything is included and you get some very interesting menus to make.  I don't usually get them all the time.  You can cancel weeks in advance and choose what you like.  Also it is delivered to your door.

Hope you enjoy yours also.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed Blue Apron very much.  In the summer months they are the best because of the availability of so many fresh vegetables.  Food arrives on time, still frozen or almost frozen.  As you said, just right portion size.  One negative about Blue Apron...their shrimp has a bad taste like a chemical.  Numerous complaints about it last year.

I've also tried two others, Hello Fresh and Home Chef.  I think of the three that I've tried, Home Chef had the most weekly variety to choose from.  Blue Apron let's you choose the type of food you like, meat, fish, or vegetarian and they send you that type of meal weekly that they select unless you skip.  Home Chef gives you much more to select from weekly, not just the three meals, two of each.

I stopped ordering, not because I was displeased with the food but because my husband thought it was not enough in portion size and he was anti vegetables.  (Since then, he has been diagnosed with diabetes and has to eat veggies so with that in mind, I might go on plan again).  The other concern I had with one that most might think silly but I thought about the fact that I might not be able to stop deliveries in time if something happened to me.  Remember, you have to contact them to stop or deliveries keep coming.  Oh, one more issue...there were a couple of times that my schedule did not permit me to cook the vegetables at their fresh delivered state.

All of those services misrepresent the preparation time, at least for me.  That chopping and dicing takes a lot of time and use of dishes.

This week, I'm going to try Freshly a service where the food is already cooked.  It's like frozen dinners but supposedly better.  I decided to try it because it's already portioned for you and no prep time, obviously.  Hubby has a hard time realizing what a portion is, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Last year for my birthday my son got me a week's trial just for something different.

I liked it!  It was easy, the food was fresh and there were recipes that I never would have tried myself without a kit like Blue Aprons.

Contributor

I got it for a gift and loved it, lots of coupons out there for new customers and the company  is great to deal with. I also live alone and used  the second portion for next days lunch.

Honored Contributor

I've been wanting to try one of these by a company called Sakara.

I love cooking for my husband and family, but I don't eat anything they do.

It would be a pleasure to have meals delivered for meeee!

Sakara delivers organic plant based only meals.

The only problem is, I would want to do it monthly and I'm never in the same place for a month it seems.

Has anyone ever tried this service?

Honored Contributor

For us, it is easy to put together meals from ingredients we buy.  If you live alone, a sous vide is a wonderful thing for "cooking" because there is basically no cleanup, veggies are easy to saute or microwave, and that way we get things we like to eat.

There are so many freshed and packaged salad and greens mixes now that are organic and relatively inexpensive, and pre-sliced veggies and slaws that it is easy to use these in salads and stir fry.

We also to drices, pastas, and grains like bulgar and farro and add tiny tomatoes, cuke slices, onions, olives and whatever and make our own vinegar and oil dressings. SOOOOO good especially in the summer.  Soups are easy too for using up leftovers and bits of veggies.

If you master a few "recipes" techniques, it is easy to change up the flavorings and vary your diet.

Just some ideas in case it  might be productive for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I am fortunate enough to have a Wegman's supermarket in my town. They offer many prepared foods that just need to be cooked and served. A couple of days ago, I made braciole, steak with spinach and ham stuffing. I nuked a baking potato and some frozen veggies and served a great dinner with a minimum of effort. I assume Blue Apron and similar services are quite expensive. I'll take Wegman's any day.

Esteemed Contributor

There is one called Terra's kitchen where everything is already chopped and diced.