Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

This is not my car, it's a neighbors.  I was watching the male go back and forth with pieces of straw for her and after about his third trip, it dawned on me this what they were doing.

I did go tell them but don't know what they will do.  It's not like they can leave it there.

0503211326_HDR.jpg

@CelticCrafter wrote:

This is not my car, it's a neighbors.  I was watching the male go back and forth with pieces of straw for her and after about his third trip, it dawned on me this what they were doing.

I did go tell them but don't know what they will do.  It's not like they can leave it there.

0503211326_HDR.jpg

@CelticCrafter   The Mourning Dove is my favorite bird, but where they build their nests at times is ridiculous, in places where predators can easily see them and steal the eggs or babies, have rescued quite a few through the years.

At one time, I had eleven hanging fuchsias and the doves built nests in every one.  From the basket in front of my kitchen sink, I was able to watch the nest building, and hear one call to the other to come to the nest to sit on the eggs so it could get food.  I watched the babies fledge, and also found remains of some the next morning, so sad.

I rescued one from a hanging basket one evening when I saw the scrub jays going to them,  It got away with one baby, and I got on a ladder and removed the other, kept it in a picnic basket next to my grow lights all night, and the next morning, I took it to the Wildlife Rescue.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain    I frequently get nests in the wrong places. Years ago someone told me about the rubber snake ploy, and I was amazed that it works. Just put the snake or snakes right by the nest and bye-bye birds. They're small -- no more than 12".  And reusable: the birds don't take them when they leave. Sometimes I can find them at a dollar store, but sometimes not. That's why I buy a few if I see them. Don't buy the ones in psychedelic colors.

Esteemed Contributor

Aww, sweet little birdie!  Mourning doves continually build nests in my window boxes.  I love watching them and seeing that they have a safe place for their babies.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a friend with a degree in forestry, who claims doves are the dumbest birds that exist.  They get two crossed sticks and call it a nest, or in this case a car. 

@Kachina624 , I love birds, but do agree with your forestry friend! 

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

Doves are such sweet birds, but they really aren't very smart when it comes to choices for a nest! I used to struggle every year with a couple of them that built their nests in the fern baskets I had on my front (covered) porch. Watering those ferns around the nests was always a big challenge! In this case, I think the car owner needs to move that nest!

Trusted Contributor

If there's an Uber or Lyft sticker on the car then clearly mama was looking for a ride.  😁 

Esteemed Contributor

Doves are my fav bird. I have learned how to communicate with them.......lol   We talk back and forth.

50 yrs ago my DH brought home a pair of Doves he caught for me in  our trucking business parking lot.I couldn't stand them caged and let them free but they stayed to this day!

I now have 86 (I counted) doves that visit me daily.

They all line up on my fence and during a rain shower they do a lovely ballet. They stand in a row and lift one wing,stand on one foot and balance for a while before changing to theother side.

It is a beautiful thing to watch .  I wish I knew how to post pictures here cause I have some beauties for bird lovers.

They actually come to my side door and wait for me to come out to say hello. <3

Honored Contributor

ITA---based on my own experience as well as family/friends Mourning Doves arent the smartest and they can be the "pigs" of the bird world, they can eat a whole feeder full of seed in a couple hours and leave nothing for the Cardinals and other birds ....Woman Sad 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

ITA---based on my own experience as well as family/friends Mourning Doves arent the smartest and they can be the "pigs" of the bird world, they can eat a whole feeder full of seed in a couple hours and leave nothing for the Cardinals and other birds ....Woman Sad 

Never had a problem with doves, but those black birds can empty a feeder in a very short time.And there are others also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I once had a mated pairs of doves ---they courted and sparked often and I let them hatch the eggs out a few times--naked, pink baby birds are so ugly-cute--gave the babies to a friend when they were "of age" but then they were right back to making babies--i then took those tiny eggs, usually 2 , and hard boiled them for them to sit on--that worked great. As long as there was something to sit on they were fine----birds are so messy and did find a good home for them . had no kids then but when i did--good grief--had no time to clean the cage.