Honored Contributor

Lord have mercy I am so glad that I wasn't watching that particular eagle cam - SeaGal and Cater. I am sorry that you had to witness it

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

SeaGal , I have been watching since some one posted about the Florida site so I have been there since the eggs were laid. I was really upset how mean 5 was towards 6. I really didn't think that 6 would survive all the hits it had to take. Can't believe the parents don't step in and try to stop some of the blows. I was there when things really took a turn for the worse and the viewers were getting upset so they asked if everyone would just sit and watch what was happening. Then it was over and they posted they thought the baby was gone. I was up and watched the when 6 went over and laid his or her head on top of 5 that was really sad. Harriet didn't really do to much she was really on the alert waiting I think for the intruder to come back. I have to honest when I saw the parent start feeding part of 5 today I was out of there till that was done. But those mods said that last year one of the babies died and that was also a mean nest of fighting.

Respected Contributor

Bird mama thanks, I didnt witness his passing but was there shortly after, I have since seen the video. Harriet was with him, she stood right by his side, I think she knew she was losing another one.

Harriet has to be the most awesome eagle mom in the world, I have really grown to love her over the last couple years, she is amazing. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

Hi Cater, yes, they have had an intruder, Ozzie has been right there on it hasnt he. I watched them hatch, poor Harriet was away both times, Ozzie was on them and the first one to welcome them. Did you see Ozzie help split E5s egg shell apart! Little E5 was brutal to 6 wasnt he. 5 had a beautiful perfect head from behind and poor 6 had scruffs missing, he was all beat up. It is hard to believe that was 21 days, 3 weeks of constant beatings that he didnt succumb to that and he may well have if 5 had stayed healthy. 6 even became afraid of Ozzie did you see him cowar when Oz brought food in. Even yesterday morning when 5 was so quiet, 6 coward at Ozzie.

Then to see 6 get his freedom while 5 was under the weather yesterday was both exciting and heartbreaking at the same time. I knew 5 was in trouble from the time I checked in in the morning but to see him sitting up late afternoon, I got so excited. I figured, good he will be fine, maybe needed to pass a pellet or something, 6 has eaten ALOT for 2 days, now he is on an even bonking field strength wise!! Not to be.

I saw them eating, yes uggg. How ironic that 6 never got to eat until 5 was fast asleep, then 6 ate 5 for dinner. {#emotions_dlg.crying} 5 could run across that nest on those hocks so fast to bonk 6 even with his crop practically dragging on the ground. I have never seen anything like it. I have only ever seen that kind of rivalry/bonking on this one nest, really strange. NE Fla, one is a bonker but not even near to the degree 5 was.

So last year again E3 was the bully, got sick and passed at 41 days old and E4 ended up the survivor, she was a character. Is E4 the intruder? hmmmm

Respected Contributor

SeaGal I see you have been there the whole time also. Yes I saw all of that even how Harriet missed the best parts of the hatching. I was watching now and 6 wants to be close to Harriet but she keeps pushing away. People are saying maybe the heat and bugs are bothering her. I really had a hard time with the brutal attacks 6 had to endure. My sister would stop in and I would be so upset and she would watch for a while and she always wondered why the parents didn't stop it. I would tell her they say that is wild life.

Respected Contributor

Yes cater, I think we humanize them too much and that is soo much not in their DNA. It is survival of the fittest in the raptor world.

I cant wait to see the baby owls, I am soo excited about this! Should be about the end of the month they say. How can you not be taken in by that sweet little thing in post #2 by mousiegirl, oh my goodness! Smile

eta~ I wanted to add, when I checked in on them about 4:00 pm nest time it was 80 degrees, poor 6 was so hot. I dont think at this age they are fully able to thermoregulate themselves, I was surprised Harriet did give him the ol momberella. Something is bothering her, I wonder if she is still not right from whatever that imbalance issue she had recently. I hope no one is trying to harm these birds. I hate to think like that but with her issue and 5 suddenly getting sick, one might wonder. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

6 moves alot of sticks like the males do so I think he is a boy!

Honored Contributor

Google Image Result for http://thebatavian.com/sites/thebatavian.com/files/image/tree/Great_Horned_Owl.jpg

It is really worrisome watching Mama Owl tonight as the wind is really blowing in Savannah and the tree that her nest is in is rocking back and forth. They have pulled back on the camera so that you can see more than the nest and that tree looks quite old and rickety to me. I hope it's reinforced somehow. I'd hate to see it blow down and for her to lose her two 'babies to be'. She's so good about sitting on them all the time and staying alert for anything that might threaten her and her nest. Not much she can do about the wind.

I even checked the Weather Channel for the conditions in Savannah and it said it would be quite windy,with gusts up to 40mph. She sat on the nest all though the rain earlier today and I felt so bad for her. I know it's nature and thatgenerationsof owls have gone through all of this and worse, but when you watch the same owl for days and days, it gets 'personal'. Like she's my owl.

Sorry to be a ninny. Have a great weekend, Everyone.

Great Horned Owl And Owlets

Honored Contributor

Possummink - you are not being a ninny. I spent many nights worrying and fretting about the Decorah eagles and Berry eagle when the weather was funky. Between snow storms and thunderstorms and winds (I don't like wind) I had some nights I could barely sleep.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Couldn't help myself and had to have a "look-see." Possum.. that picture of the horned owl and babies is just so beautiful, grand and awe-inspiring it makes me want to cry...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Great Grey Owl in Yellowstone National Park

Loves, Good to see your post here. I was almost afraid to click on the Savannah Owl nest today, thinking that the wind gusts might have blown that old tree that the owl is nesting is, down. She's such a dedicated mama. Knowing how much eagle nests can weigh is kind of worrisome concerning the stability of that old tree. I wonder what happened to the eagles that built this nest.

Stop and post anytime. I am almost a chicken when it comes to watching the eagle nests, knowing that not all of the babies are raised to fledging. Survival of the fittest and all of that, with the older nestlings bullying the younger and weaker. It's as "if I don't see it, it doesn't happen{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}," oh sure.{#emotions_dlg.unsure} Reality dodging. I am hoping Wild Birds Unlimited will sponsor another Barred Owlnestcam this spring.

The owl above is a Great Gray Owl. Boy would I love to add one of those to my Life List.