Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bill Cosby's Conviction Overturned by PA Supreme Court

@Porcelain wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

The “promise” given to Cosby was not in writing and was just given as a tactic to get him to confess he was guilty of the offenses. His attorney dropped the ball by not getting the agreement in writing and entered as part of a plea bargain which apparently was not what it was. Or perhaps this was the strategy in the first place. To have justice taken away for so many victims is hard to fathom. I can only imagine how they are feeling now. Cosby is one sick puppy.

It doesn't have to be in writing @lovesrecess .  An agreement is an agreement.  Do you honestly think those high paid lawyers of Cosby's would have allowed him to talk in 2005 incriminating himself if they thought for one minute he wasn't going to get something out of it?  C'mon.

The information he provided at a civil trial in 2005 (incriminating himself) is what they used to try him in the criminal case when they weren't supposed to (based on a plea agreement he made with the D.A. in the Civil trial. 

Your statement further indicates you don't trust that the highest Court in Pennsylvania knows what they are doing.  You would be wrong in that assumption.

If he knew he was incriminating himself by admitting to crimes, he could have asserted his 5th Amendment rights instead of speaking. That would have been the appropriate advice from his counsel.

@Porcelain of course he knew @Porcelain .  He and his legal team knew.  They used that as a bargaining chip to get out of any criminal charges and a trial.  The thing is a new prosecutor decided not to honor the first agreement he had with the prior D.A. and levelled the criminal charges anyway.

Bill Cosby is no dummy.  Neither are his high paid lawyers.  You must know it took them all the time he spent in jail working on this to get him out.  I'm not trying to make him out as some heroe but the man has a doctoral degree.  He's not stupid.  He hedged the bet on not being charged criminally.  There is no jail time in a civil proceeding.  Only compensatory damages.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

IMO he's not dangerous anymore. Coby is 83, partly blind with other health issues. His money has gone for legal fees, and he is shunned by society. I doubt much will come of this. 

@teganslaw All true.  However, if you look at the footage before he went to jail he looks frail, hardly able to walk.  Now what I see is a different man, not so frail anymore huh?  I guess jail agreed with him.  SMH

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

IMO he's not dangerous anymore. Coby is 83, partly blind with other health issues. His money has gone for legal fees, and he is shunned by society. I doubt much will come of this. 

@teganslaw All true.  However, if you look at the footage before he went to jail he looks frail, hardly able to walk.  Now what I see is a different man, not so frail anymore huh?  I guess jail agreed with him.  SMH

@chlema @teganslaw  He said he will be back to work and entertain.

Honored Contributor

He thinks people want to be "entertained" by him? I see prison has not humbled him at all. He needs to just go away. He certainly doesn't need money.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

He has a large group of fans and supporters and plans on returning to the stage in some format.

Honored Contributor

Not that it matters much, @gertrudecloset, but it was an honary doctorate degree which was later rescinded.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Not that it matters much, @gertrudecloset, but it was an honary doctorate degree which was later rescinded.  

@tansy   He earned his MA and his Ph.D at UMass Amherst.

While he does have quite a list of honorary degrees, most having been rescinded, I don't believe the degrees he earned at UMass Amherst were ever rescinded. 

His Ph.D dissertation was based on the Fat Albert show.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info, @Cakers3.  I don't doubt his intelligence, just his character.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@tansyYeah he might have those too, but he did earn his own in Education.  You should have continued to read what you found on the Internet: Always support the facts.....whether you like them are not.  The facts are the only thing that matter!!!!

By Gail Jennes
Updated June 06, 1977 12:00 PM

The once solemn distinction of the honorary degree has deteriorated on many campuses into a rather meaningless intercollegiate sport, with universities competing for headline names and in the quotable drollery of their tributes. A source of publicity and fund raising, the ceremonial too often has become just a sophistication of celebrity tennis except that the players wear black. That anyway was what seemed to be happening at the 107th commencement of the University of Massachusetts late in May as a crowd of 20,000 whooped at the proclamation of William Henry Cosby Jr. as “Doctor of Education.” But this time, as the creator of Fat Albert, Dumb Donald, Old Weird Harold and other Philadelphia rowdies stepped forward in his hooded School of Education gown, the sheepskin was not being pulled over anybody’s eyes. This was an unhonorary degree. Bill Cosby, at 39, had earned his Ed.D.

For seven years, between other gigs, Cos had snuck in course requirements and, in effect, done his practice teaching at prisons and on Sesame Street and The Electric Company. The clincher was a 242-page, 48-footnote dissertation that could not have been ghosted by a Hollywood scriptwriter. Its title: An Integration of the Visual Media via Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Into the Elementary School Curriculum as a Teaching Aid and Vehicle to Achieve Increased Learning.

“This is really a great moment,” exulted Dr. Cosby as he exited, pursued by fellow matriculants, autograph-seekers, three of his five children, wife Camille and Anna Cosby, who is in her 60s. Cos’s mother could be pardoned her my-son-the-doctor excitement—she had once been an $8-a-day domestic. “Mom just went crazy today,” remarked Bill. “She used to say, ‘Education’s a must.’ If she was dead, she would have gotten up to come here today. Her tears mean so much.”

Cos’s affinity for kids and his desire to teach have long been as familiar as the Philadelphia ghetto childhood that became part of his repertory. He was himself twice a dropout—first after 10th grade to go into the Navy. (His late father, who separated from his mother in Bill’s youth, was a career man.) Cosby picked up a high school equivalency degree through a service correspondence course and then did three years on an athletic scholarship at Temple University before disappointing his mom again by ditching it all for showbiz.

The resumption of his education came in the late ’60s, he recalls, “after I performed at UMass once. I started thinking and met with one of the deans who told me I should give it a shot.” The university arranged a suitably flexible schedule and agreed not to publicize his presence. So Cosby bought a 135-year-old, 16-room farmhouse up the Connecticut River from the Amherst, Mass. campus.

He paid only $65,000, but his wife—whom Cos met on a blind date when she was a psych major at the University of Maryland and married in 1964—spent $325,000 renovating the place and filling it with the antiques that are her passion. “I feel like I’ve paid for the Louvre,” cracks Cos. But some of the treasures are his, including a pair of Ed Wynn’s shoes, a William Gropper painting, a collection of cartoons by Cos’s buddy, New Yorker artist George Booth, and a letter from his favorite author, Mark Twain. Besides the house, the 286-acre property includes a tennis court for the superjock proprietor and two barns, one of which has been turned into a home for Mom and the other into Cosby’s East Coast office. (He has a second home in L.A., much simpler than the previous 31-room Georgian mansion in Beverly Hills referred to as the “Cosby Hilton.”)

Aside from the proximity to the campus, the Cosbys came to New England, he says, for “the change in seasons, and the feeling of taking an old house and completely restoring it.” Camille wakes up at 6 to schlepp the four oldest kids—daughters Erika, 12, Erinn, 10, and Ensa, 4, plus son Ennis, 8—to a local public school. (Erika will switch to a private school in the fall; baby Evin is just 9 months.)

As for what he’ll do with his degree, the good doctor says, “I already have a job.” Not overimpressed by pedagogy, he still believes that “the most important educational vehicle in all life is a parent figure,” and concedes that “TV is mainly for entertainment—it’s not realistic to think you can turn it around.” But, of course, the lead-in to his Saturday morning Fat Albert series goes: “Here’s Bill Cosby coming at you with music and fun, and if you’re not careful, you may learn something before it’s done.”

His other commitments include concert dates at up to $50,000 per; records (he’s sold 11 million, more than any other comic, and collected five Grammys); a pilot for an update of his 1965 / Spy, the breakthrough TV series that first co-starred a black; and a movie, Sitting Pretty, which he’ll produce, direct, score and star in. He let down his own kids terribly when he was too busy to play the Tin Man in the film version of The Wiz, the all-black recasting of The Wizard of Oz. Actually, suggested Cos, “In this age of women’s lib, I’d like to see them have a Tin Woman.” As for himself, “I’m not sure I wouldn’t have made a better Wiz. Or it would have been fun to play the witch.”

There’s very little that Bill Cosby does in life that isn’t fun, and it all earns him into seven digits. That puts him well beyond his “personal dream—making over $500 a week.” But he was “the most excited about any achievement,” reports wife Camille, on that recent warm graduation day at UMass. Afterward they drove home and Bill stripped down to his tennis shorts in an early New England heat wave that was melting the Fat Albert ice sculpture on the buffet table. “I’ll hold on to this day,” says Dr. Cosby, “for a long, long time.”

Source: People Magazine

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@tansy   He earned his MA and his Ph.D at UMass Amherst.

While he does have quite a list of honorary degrees, most having been rescinded, I don't believe the degrees he earned at UMass Amherst were ever rescinded. 

His Ph.D dissertation was based on the Fat Albert show.

He most certainly did.  I didn't have to lie about that @Cakers3