Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Cosby's Conviction Overturned by PA Supreme Court

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@gertrudecloset - I understand quite well ....I stated there was no written record as this wasn't a plea deal....certainly, he spoke in the presence of his attorneys & a prosecutor.  A transcriber is present if it were a pled out.   I did not follow the trial closely and was commenting on the decision which was correct, legally but there was sloppy case preparation which freed a guilty man.  Having worked with victims And being one myself many years ago, I'm outraged.  Justice was not served due to a technicality which is unconscionable.  The technicality was a violation of his fifth.  He believed he had an immunity deal and confessed; it didn't count for him but does for his many victims.  I wasn't there so I'm not debating the issue on a shopping board as they are still researching legal papers relative to the trial....

@Stray   It was a plea deal.  He sang in civil court so he didn't have to stand trial in criminal court.  That's a plea deal.  No matter how you slice it.  Plea = you give us something we'll give you something.  Period.  Period.

Visit this Article from the New York Times: (it's behind a paywall) but you may find it elsewhere.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court, which overturned Mr. Cosby's conviction, wrote that a “non-prosecution agreement” that had been struck with.......

No prosecution means no one would have appeared in court.  Which then means, there would have been no transcriber.  His Lawyers and the D.A. of PA struck the arrangement on his behalf.  Agreement = deal.

@gertrudecloset - 

in cases where deals are made to reduce the counts or not charge a suspect, it’s generally spelled out in excruciating detail on paper in a formal plea agreement with the terms often read in court. In other words, they make it crystal clear what the deal is to avoid ambiguity, challenges and further court proceedings.

Castor would have done better to stick to the norms that guide prosecutors rather than make an exception for Cosby, even if, as the attorney testified, it was to help his alleged victim get some redress. In the end, special justice was injustice.  

Cosby was a "special defendant" with powerful lawyers with the world watching EXCEPT for me.  This is a rare case and rare outcome.  The day poor people get the same treatment as the rich & famous, our system would be just.  This situation is "an agreement" & in violation of his fifth amendment rights against self incrimination when it was not honored.  Cosby was under the impression he had "blanket immunity".  Maybe the prosecutor was well meaning but this very rare situation backfired.  There are many faults with our justice system and until everyone is treated equally, it's deficient and justice is not always served and in this case it wasn't.   It's the only one we have and better than many other countries and it works but not always for the disadvantaged.  

The law is always debatable and I speak for victims not criminals.   I hope you never are one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

The initial prosecutor who made that deal with Cosby was a pretty sleazy guy. You can look him up. I think he sabotaged the case on purpose, just like Acosta did for Epstein (you can look that up too). And the subsequent prosecutor who actually prosecuted the case had to do the best he could with a fatally tainted situation. Made the guy serve 2 years, which is better than nothing.

Most people are not corrupt but there are still a few "good old boys (and girls)" out there coddling and protecting the most powerful predators of our nation. They've been doing that forever. Mobsters and monsters often pay well and they always need lawyers and fixers.

Unless the other infamous assault felons in the news had the exact same type of corrupt deals as Cosby did, this should not affect their situations. Hope it doesn't.

@Porcelain - I hated this reversal and I know nothing about the original prosecutor and I really didn't follow the case closely.  I was surprised he was found guilty.   I do think he was well meaning and wanted restitution for the victim & she did receive money.  He didn't think he could get a guilty verdict beyond a reasonable doubt.  Cosby was given special treatment....could it have been purposeful or just sloppy?  

He did serve some time so it's some consolation  I guess.  I don't think this overturn will deter future victims as victim advocate groups suggest because they want validation, justice and sometimes just to be heard.  They also want closure.  

Trusted Contributor

Another one on the loose,very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Am I missing something? What was the purpose of offering him immunity in exchange for his statement? Cosby was the suspect. There wasn’t anyone else “bigger” to catch with his admission. Or was the prosecutor just a sleazeball and this was a way to get a statement but not charge him for anything.

@bikerbabe - the prosecutor didn't think he could get a conviction but wanted some type of resolution for his client.  She did get money and for some victims just telling their story gives them closure.  "Dr Huxtable", a beloved character was not on trial but a serial preditor so the ability to expose him might give a victim closure & some satisfaction.  I think he was well meaning, I'd like to believe that but the documentation of the agreement and follow up was poor & he was treated as a "special defendant"  

Honored Contributor

His future =   0    I think he lost his sight.  He's lost so much.  I didn't know Camile left him. If he went to jail, she could have still lived in the house.  Maybe she just said, no more connection.  Maybe the press wouldn't leave her alone.  Wow, would not want to be in his shoes.  

Esteemed Contributor

He has multiple residences.

He is leaving the Pennsylvania home this morning to go stay with her in one of their other homes.  They are not estranged. 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset ---yes but... he got out on a legal technically not because he was innocent-----they didn't say he was innocent  and I fully believe --there are people working on this right now. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@gertrudecloset ---yes but... he got out on a legal technically not because he was innocent-----they didn't say he was innocent  and I fully believe --there are people working on this right now. 

Unfortunately nothing can be done about it. There aren't any legal options, according to what I read yesterday.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The “promise” given to Cosby was not in writing and was just given as a tactic to get him to confess he was guilty of the offenses. His attorney dropped the ball by not getting the agreement in writing and entered as part of a plea bargain which apparently was not what it was. Or perhaps this was the strategy in the first place. To have justice taken away for so many victims is hard to fathom. I can only imagine how they are feeling now. Cosby is one sick puppy.