Esteemed Contributor

Beware if using Wayfair Site

[ Edited ]

I just got off the phone with customer fraud from my main credit card.  I have been looking on Wayfair for a few days and today there are five fraudulent charges on my account.  There are 10 references to Wayfair during the past four days with 0.00, but the other charges, to companies that I have never heard of, number into almost $500.  The only common link is Wayfair.  Just be aware as it appears that their system has been hacked.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Beward if using Wayfair Site

@SXMGirl wrote:

I just got off the phone with customer fraud from my main credit card.  I have been looking on Wayfair for a few days and today there are five fraudulent charges on my account.  There are 10 references to Wayfair during the past four days with 0.00, but the other charges, to companies that I have never heard of, number into almost $500.  The only common link is Wayfair.  Just be aware as it appears that their system has been hacked.

Thank you for the warning. My husband has been on there looking for a porch swing. I will pass this on to him.

Honored Contributor

Thanks. We just ordered some patio umbrellas last week. Will check credit card.

Honored Contributor

Ordered several things over the last few weeks including a club chair and no extra changes

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  My charges were not from Wayfair.  I have only ever ordered one item from them, which was about 18 months ago.  My charges were for companies that I not only have never heard of, but I would never order from a gun company.

Once a system is hacked and credit card numbers are seized, the cards can be used anywhere.

The only common link is Wayfair.  I may be mistaken, but I would rather everyone be cautious.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

I have only used the Wayfair or Fortiva cards when I shop there 

@SXMGirl wrote:

@I am still oxox  My charges were not from Wayfair.  I have only ever ordered one item from them, which was about 18 months ago.  My charges were for companies that I not only have never heard of, but I would never order from a gun company.

Once a system is hacked and credit card numbers are seized, the cards can be used anywhere.

The only common link is Wayfair.  I may be mistaken, but I would rather everyone be cautious.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  We use our BJs rewards card for just about everything.  I could not believe it when I saw 10 references to Wayfair in just the few days that I have been searching for a patio umbrella, especially since I only looked one time at their site.  However, every day they send me information on those umbrellas.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@SXMGirl 

Just to be clear- You were just 'looking' on Wayfair's website for a few days? You made zero purchases? Did you sign in first? Does Wayfair have your credit card number saved (to make checkouts quicker,) or do you use PayPal? 

I ask because I browse their website also, but don't sign in unless I make a purchase (using PayPal,) so was curious how the other companies were able to access your credit card if you did not sign in and have 'saved' credit card information on Wayfair's site. Thank you.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Re: Beware if using Wayfair Site

have been browsing AND ordering from wayfair over the past week with no issues.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883  I did not sign in.  As far as an account, it is possible, but it has been a long time since I purchased my one item from them.  A hacker can easily get into an account, so I guess I did set up one.  Like I posted, 10 references to Wayfair in four days has to be the trigger.  Again, just my PSA.