Valued Contributor

I've been on the fence forever for a tracfone smartphone because i have 2 NON SMART LG306 - with triple minutes (as well as a 3rd for my husband- I'd like to set up securtiy cameras but w/o a smartphone- I can't- The reviews are just so-so for most of them - and  want a larger sized one - doesn't have to be real fancy- might take a few photos- but I prefer camera for that- mostly I'd like the aps for the cameras for watching my dog and shopping apps (for discount codes) as well as security.-- SO suggestions? We're on fixed income so I'd only get one- (besides my husband can barely use his regular one properly so no smartphone for him. 

Honored Contributor

@sipp    Since all of the Tracfone deals are pretty much alike in that they offer a year of free service, 12-1500 minutes, and some data.  All you have to do is compare prices.  I've gotten all of my phones for years at HSN.  There's quite a learning curve with the smart phones.  They are mini computers and take some practice

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Tracfone does not have triple minutes on their phones anymore. That's why my son's phone is falling apart, but he won't update it because it still has the triple minutes.

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit the other day from HSN on a today's special. Not received yet. I like Samsung phones. I have currently have an LG Rebel phone and I don't like it too much.

Honored Contributor

After literally decades of going through AT&T and always having the top-of-the-line  phone, after my DH passed, I went with Tracfone.    I've had 2, the first one was totally inadequate but I learned a lot. I was impressed with the price but the features were not what I needed.   I now have a Samsung J7 Jet Pro and I would like to have something better.   I  use it for everything, a bigger screen and more memory will be a great upgrade.    Since there are no Tracfones better, I am considering getting a phone OFF Tracfone and buying a sim-card to turn it into Tracfone compatible.  Or I could wait for an S10 Tracfone.

Let me give you this nugget.   For Apps, you need a lot of memory.   And some Apps won't reside on your memory card (SD card).   So if your top 5 Apps will only operate on your internal memory, and you don't have enough memory, you are out of luck.    

@sipp 

Esteemed Contributor

I like the Google Pixel 3a or 3aXL, because it takes great photos, runs Android 9.0 pie, and will receive updates until May 2022. You may want to buy this phone unlocked to run the Tracphone network.

There are many YouTube videos about the phone and others. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

After literally decades of going through AT&T and always having the top-of-the-line  phone, after my DH passed, I went with Tracfone.    I've had 2, the first one was totally inadequate but I learned a lot. I was impressed with the price but the features were not what I needed.   I now have a Samsung J7 Jet Pro and I would like to have something better.   I  use it for everything, a bigger screen and more memory will be a great upgrade.    Since there are no Tracfones better, I am considering getting a phone OFF Tracfone and buying a sim-card to turn it into Tracfone compatible.  Or I could wait for an S10 Tracfone.

Let me give you this nugget.   For Apps, you need a lot of memory.   And some Apps won't reside on your memory card (SD card).   So if your top 5 Apps will only operate on your internal memory, and you don't have enough memory, you are out of luck.    

@sipp 

Tracfone allows customers to place an unlocked phone  on their network. There is a information on the TF site. 

Honored Contributor

We just hope they don't catch us with our 3G flip phones that still tell you how many minutes U got and when your card expires.

My poor sister doesn't have a pc and she has to go to a kiosk at walmart and have them to do it for her. Everything is that **** smart ****.  Old people don't want all that gobbly goop we just want to call for help if needed and call in a pizza while on the road. 

We don't want monthly fee with Cellular and that other basic phone for seniors either. Why Tracfone can't just have something for the older folks who don't want to learn all that goop and have to update now as I understand it.  

WE pray they don't find us and take away what we like.

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Tracfone deal?

[ Edited ]

You can buy your smart phone and bring it to tracfone---that's what I have done many times. I never buy anymore than the data at $10 per gb---I had the triple everything plan for a few years and accumilated enough minutes until 2030 !! I don't talk much on my phone but do text alot. Was easy to do . I have a moto 5g and the service is great all the time. Can do everything the major rip off cell companies can do except pay the stupid high prices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Tracfone deal?

[ Edited ]

@sipp 

I have been pleased with my Tracphones....I bought mine from QVC...and have upgraded over the years....My current one is a Samsung Sky Pro....I have tons of APPS and no memory problems...It has the bells and whistles camera, video, and I installed many many fav APPS...One thing I found interesting is when traveling out of town my friends with their fancy and expensive phones, can't get a signal in certain areas but I can with my Tracfone....

I'm not sure how much data and memory that security camera would require....I do know you can buy just extra data only from Tracfone's website if you need it at any time......If your phone has a microSD card slot or tray, you can increase the available storage of your device by inserting a compatible microSD card.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

We just hope they don't catch us with our 3G flip phones that still tell you how many minutes U got and when your card expires.

My poor sister doesn't have a pc and she has to go to a kiosk at walmart and have them to do it for her. Everything is that **** smart ****.  Old people don't want all that gobbly goop we just want to call for help if needed and call in a pizza while on the road. 

We don't want monthly fee with Cellular and that other basic phone for seniors either. Why Tracfone can't just have something for the older folks who don't want to learn all that goop and have to update now as I understand it.  

WE pray they don't find us and take away what we like.

@SharkE 

When our area upgraded to 4G those old phones were "toast" and forced us to upgrade....

Tracfone also has a new flip phone model for customers that like theflip design. 

Also the Tracfone app tells you how many minutes, data, text you have, when your service expires, and in addition they send a text too....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”