Honored Contributor

Re: Being the Author of a Thread

Some posters do include other’s posts as mentioned. I wonder if some feel more comfortable doing this, others may not know how to post a response, some may not know how to add a notification to whoever they wish to respond to and don’t want to ask due to the negative responses they may receive.

Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

I quote because I don't want to make people who are interested in what I'm saying have to go searching for the post to which I'm responding.

I have started to ignore posts like "I agree with that" that has no reference whatsoever. And even if it's "I agree with that, @name of poster, I still have to search out the post. It's too tedious.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It's easer to just "@" whom you would like to give a comment to.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

It's easer to just "@" whom you would like to give a comment to.

@ECBG@ In theory, yes Woman Wink This is also harder on various devices. I’m on a newer iPad, and when I try to notify, I’m limited to the user names the system brings up. If I quote someone, that name is (usually) at the top of the list. Just replying to them doesn’t always have the same effect. And if I’m trying to @ mention someone not on the short list of options...well, it works maybe 20% of the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling

Just my opinion, but my answer is NO!  I have stated numerous times here over the years, that I do not read or reply to threads that have a "quote of a quote that gets quoted by the previous quotee(r) that may have quoted the author of said thread"!

By that time I haven't a clue who is talking with whom, thus I skip right on by.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

I must be missing something, when starting a topic, should the author partake in every single comment by copying the entire conversation?

Perhaps it is a way for the OP to acknowledge the post/reply, but a 'heart' does the same with far less clutter IMO.  I think maybe the replying to every post is a way to keep a conversation going on and on. JMO.

@Mj12  I agree about giving a heart to everyone who reads the thread - like a thank you.

Wasn't it you who dubbed all the quoting as quote-arrhea?  lmao (probably spelled wrong)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh