Respected Contributor

Re: Beautiful Afghan Easy Pattern

[ Edited ]

I forgot that the Afghan pattern I did was Chain 125 sts with a size J number 10 crochet hook and then follow pattern doing a double crochet stitch throughout pattern. 114 rows. 19 set of 6 rows colors when done.

Border:

I did a single crochet around the Afghan when done, then a row of double crochet followed by the last row being chain 4, skip 2 stitches, chain 4 around the Afghan to finish off. Everyone loves this border. Simple to do.

I did Petal Pink, White, and then Pretty n Pink for the scallop part.

Please post in the future if you make this Afghan. Would love to see your color combinations.

I made both afghans in three weeks time as it works up rather quickly doing a few hours a day.

Esteemed Contributor

Good to know about the pattern generater online.  I will have to check it out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 

I sew blankets for Project Linus, and there are a group of women who do crocheted blankets for the babies.

Their work is so beautiful and it is very generous of them to donate them once done.  Many of those go to the hospitals for the babies to take home. 

I love the pink stripes, but really love almost anything crocheted.

My blankets are just fleece, so not as refined.  Although the children just want something soft and warm.

You do beautiful work!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Thank you for the compliment. I do love to crochet but only do it for someone that will care and love the things I make. 

Project Linus is a nice place to donate to. I read all about the organization before online.

I used to make newborn baby hats for our hospital and volunteered at the hospital before I worked. That is how I got into the medical field working for physicians. I see you love to help people also.

I love the pink Afghan so much I am going to make myself one. I made the teal one for my granddaughter for Christmas this year. The pink Afghan I made for a friend of mine as a “just because” gift. She is a widow and walks every morning with me. She is a wonderful woman that helps many people.

I bet your blankets are beautiful also. I used to make fleece ones that you cut and tied around them. They were really cute and no sewing. 

I think the art of making anything by hand should be passed down to the younger ones but many just don’t want to learn.

Have a good weekend.

Respected Contributor

Since posting this I have just finished a second Afghan in the white and pinks combo on the pattern from the Random Pattern Generator online that I posted the end of June.

Here is the next combo I am starting in white, turquoise and a variegated yarn called Icelandic in a combo of turquoise and grey. These are Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo skeins. Joann Fabrics is where I purchased them.

AA7DC33B-7B92-43D0-BA89-C3E62ED1F657.png

Online at Joann’s the Red Heart yarn is “exactly the color you receive” but the Caron One Pounder yarn is not always as shown.

I received an email from CS at Joann’s that the incorrect photos of the Teal- showing a turquoise color and the Pale Green incorrect color showing on the Caron yarn will be corrected. They thanked me for bringing to their attention.

The Red Heart yarn is a little softer than the Caron yarn but they both work well for this Afghan pattern.

Please post any afghans you are working on as I love to see others artistic work. Handmade crafts are priceless to me.

Regular Contributor

how pretty! I envy talented creative people like you @MKR14

thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Those are so pretty. Thank you for sharing your pics.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 @marlielou  Thanks for the nice comments. 

My husbands grandmother taught me to crochet 53 years ago. 

Back then no computers or iPads to distract us and we learned to crochet and cook more. I do knit but find it more relaxing crocheting.

It is very relaxing to me and when I see the colors start to come together in the afghans I smile and it makes me happy.

These afghans are easy. Just using a chain stitch to start and the rest is double crochet except for the trim. A single crochet row around it, then  a double crochet row around them and a crochet three and skip two, slip stitch around. Not as complicated as it looks. 

I will teach anyone that wants to learn as crocheting is not as common as it used to be. Not too expensive a project when you can get yarn on sale.

There are videos online and you can rewind as many times as needed. Smiley Happy