Honored Contributor

Animals don't think about right and right and wrong and make moral decisions like humans do.  People like to go to parks.  Some animals are naturally violent and aggressive toward people, and you can't let them roam around where people go.  People can respect the rights of animals, but animals don't respect our rights.  They don't think that way.

There has to be some balance.  Animals certainly should be protected within reason, but ones who are a documented threat need to be dealt with in some fashion--whether moved or whatever.

Disney should NEVER have let people go in/near the water where gaters are without much warning.  Now that's just stupid on their part.  But then again, you can't rope off the world and confine people to cities either.   People just need to use some common sense.

Valued Contributor

My home page is baynews9.com, and this is the first article I saw when I opened the site.

Authorities dealing with bear up a tree in east Tampa

By Jason Lanning , Reporter
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 9:08 AM

(portion of article)

Eventually, the bear was spotted in a backyard and several officers responded. The bear became scared and climbed up about 15 feet in a tree in the front yard of a home at 4213 Linebaugh Ave.

Fish and Wildlife officials are at the scene, along with Tampa police, who have cordoned off the immediate area.

A trapper is trying to tranquilize the animal though officials are concerned the bear is too high in the tree.

Once the bear is tranquilized, officials said it would be moved to an area north of Tampa.

Eventually, the bear was spotted in a backyard and several officers responded. The bear became scared and climbed up about 15 feet in a tree in the front yard of a home at 4213 Linebaugh Ave.

Fish and Wildlife officials are at the scene, along with Tampa police, who have cordoned off the immediate area.

A trapper is trying to tranquilize the animal though officials are concerned the bear is too high in the tree.

Once the bear is tranquilized, officials said it would be moved to an area north of Tampa.

--------------------

Police took this picture of the bear before it climbed up a tree in front of a home on Linebaugh Avenue. bear.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Lesa

While this is an interesting article,

what does it have to do with the OP bear attack?

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lesa

@sidsmom Nothing. I just felt like posting it.

Good-Morning-Tuesday-Images-2.gif

Honored Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lesa

@sidsmom Nothing. I just felt like posting it.

Good-Morning-Tuesday-Images-2.gif

It also shows that you can't stay out of "bear country" as pretty much the whole country is "bear country." Avoiding bears isn't an easy thing. The good news is bears typically run away from humans as the Tampa bear did.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

But park officials serve their human patrons, not their ursine charges. Sometimes a bear has to be killed in order to “err on the side of human safety,” Yellowstone wildlife biologist Kerry Gunther told Slate in 2012.

Still many park officials believe that the increased presence of humans, particularly humans who are uneducated or careless about dealing with grizzlies, is sparking more of these deadly confrontations. Not because bears get a “taste for human blood” — speaking to Slate, Servheen dismissed that idea as something from “horror stories in movies” — but because humans who get too close to bears can trigger defensive responses, and bears that are too accustomed to humans are more likely to launch an un-bear-like predatory attack.

taken from this 2015 article (which is graphic in detail and my be disturbing to some.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/11/when-a-bear-takes-a-humans-life-it-alm...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are ways to protect yourself and avoid run-ins with bears if humans would only be willing to do so but ya know, we are humans and therefore we are superior and therefore we should be able to do what we want, when we want to. Nature be darned!!

For example, if we insist on letting people jog wherever the heck they want regardless of "nature",  how about NOT letting people job through those areas during times that bears will have cubs? This is a simple idea that would minimize bear encounters/attack and also help not stress out bear mamas and their cubs during an important time.

I have bears in my area. I see evidence all the time and neighbors have actually seen them on my property. I jog and walk and hike all over here and have never encountered one so far but I also make sure to STAY AWARE of my surroundings so I can spy any potential problems that may be around me. I NEVER wear headphones or anything to distract me so I can HEAR something coming. I keep pepper spray or tazer or in some cases, my gun on me at all times and as far as the former, it is around my wrist when I am running anywhere that I know may be precarious.But I also don't jog in certain areas during certain times of the year when I know the bears have their cubs.  I also accept the responsibility that if something were to happen to me that I am the one taking the risk and would be, essentially, at fault.

My neighbor has lived here for 60 years and has about 100 acres and rides all over his acreage almost every day and has yet to enounter a bear. Sure they are there but you just stay aware and know when to not do certain things to minimize your potential to encounter one.

Honored Contributor

The lady jogger was on TV here this morning.  I guess she was released from the hospital.  She looked pretty beaten with lots of cuts and scratches and one heck of a big black eye.

Usually, they recommend when hiking in bear country to make lots of noise so as not to surprise bears.  Maybe they should issue joggers coke cans with a bunch of pennies inside.  Tape it to an ankle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If the bear is not a Mom or Mother to her cubs, what exactly is she? An unconscience coupling to her cubs? A surragate? Who is she exactly  protecting. Jeez

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

The bear was a wild animal, not a mom.  Moms are people.  I don't much about bears but I assume that the rationale is that once a bear attacks a human the odds are the bear will do it again.  So, as a precaution, the bear is euthanized.  It;s unfortunate but if protects humans life, it;s the right thing to do.  

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

The jogger gets her 15 minutes and most likely a go fund me account; the bear gets a bullet, her babies get a cage in a zoo.