Trusted Contributor

Re: Be careful buying off eBay!

@Effie54 wrote:

last week, out of desperation, I bought a package of paper towels from a dealer on eBay. To be noted, it was at least twice the amount of money I would've paid in the store. We were unable to find them in our local area, so I thought eBay might be a good start. The seller, ship them to the wrong address, but somehow the UPS tracking said it was delivered to my home. I called UPS and spoke to customer service representative. He checked the tracking, and said it was indeed sent to another address, not mine, but in the same state. He said that the seller used an incorrect shipping label. I don't know how the tracking said it was delivered to my house, but it wasn't. I tried contacting this person on eBay, with no results. I opened a case against him, citing the fact that if they checked with UPS to see where the package went, they would understand that I did not receive it. Apparently at least three other people had the same problem. eBay ruled in the sellers favor, and I am out $75 for paper towels I did not receive. Be very careful when you buy on eBay. I learned a hard lesson.

Don't buy from hoarders. Amazon will not sell items from hoarders. Ebay should be shutting them down as well. If they have nowhere to sell then they will be out of business and stop hoarding.

Valued Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

last week, out of desperation, I bought a package of paper towels from a dealer on eBay. To be noted, it was at least twice the amount of money I would've paid in the store. We were unable to find them in our local area, so I thought eBay might be a good start. The seller, ship them to the wrong address, but somehow the UPS tracking said it was delivered to my home. I called UPS and spoke to customer service representative. He checked the tracking, and said it was indeed sent to another address, not mine, but in the same state. He said that the seller used an incorrect shipping label. I don't know how the tracking said it was delivered to my house, but it wasn't. I tried contacting this person on eBay, with no results. I opened a case against him, citing the fact that if they checked with UPS to see where the package went, they would understand that I did not receive it. Apparently at least three other people had the same problem. eBay ruled in the sellers favor, and I am out $75 for paper towels I did not receive. Be very careful when you buy on eBay. I learned a hard lesson.

@Effie54 - as someone else mentioned, you need to contact UPS customer service again and ask them to send you written confirmation showing where exactly your package ended up at - then turnaround and send that to EBay to show you didn't receive this package.

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2   Have you tried to get paper towels from Amaon????  It's next to impossible.  I too took to Ebay seeking Paper towels.  I saw that $75.00 by the way.  My short stint on Ebay only took a week.  I was disgusted with the prices I saw.  I immediately took myself off of them.  Took another 2 weeks to get rid of their email.  If there is a light at the tunnel, it'll be me using cloth towels now instead of paper towels. 

Honored Contributor

Good grief, buy some microfiber cloths, wash and reuse them.  A roll of paper towels lasts me over 6 rmonths.  I use fabric towels and cloths.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leggett28 wrote:

@Effie54  I’m so sorry that happened to you. That’s a lot of money for nothing. I’ve been buying from EBAY for many years never had a problem. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen.

That's a lot of money for paper towels. 

I would have used hand towels, dish towels, napkins...any number of other thimgs brfofe I paid $75 for paper towels. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Effie54 

I’m sorry that happened to you. Have you talked to your bank to see if they can help you get your money back?

Respected Contributor

i really do not believe someone would pay $75 for a roll of paper towels.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@Effie54 

Yes, there's a learning curve for shoppers on ebay.

After 1,486 purchases, it's fairly easy for me to recognize scammers.  It's good to warn people about ebay; however, learn what to look out for. 

There are excellent buys there.  I just purchased a new pair of several hundred dollar Stuart Weitzman oxfords for $19.99 and $6.95 shipping.  They fit perfectly; however, I'm very familiar with this brand knowing they would fit.  Always look for clothing measurements or ask the seller for them.

I always look for sellers who have at least 99%, prefer  99.5% and higher.  I read the bad customer reviews first.  Sometimes, you can tell it's the buyer, not sellers' fault. 

Always read everything carefully that's posted.  Pay attention to price of the item and shipping cost.  Does it appear too high?  Did you look around ebay for lower prices?  Always do that.  

Always look to see if the seller accepts returns.  Check how many items the seller sold in the past.  Seasoned ebay buyers usually stay away from a new seller and those with just a few.

You should have been suspicious of this seller's pricing, taking advantage of the current virus situation to make more money.  Usually, I found trusted sellers sell for less.

It's suspicious the seller didn't reply to you.  Trusted sellers usually reply.  They don't want to lose their ebay accounts.  

I'd call UPS again for verification what the first CS told you, then ask for proof it was sent to another address, but tracking said it was delivered to your house.  Get a copy of the label with a different address on it, plus all tracking information.  Have UPS send all info to you, so you can send it to ebay. This doesn't make sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have never had Ebay side with the seller and have always gotten a refund on anything I never received. Please try dealing with ebay again, give them or PayPal a call. 

Due to the virus, the staff is manned by email only. I did file a claim through Paypal and hope to find resulution.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I would file a claim with UPS for a lost package. If the customer service representative said the package was delivered to the wrong address, I would have asked for a confirmation letter be sent to EBay and myself. Don't give up. IMHO, $75 is a lot of money for paper towels. Costco and Target had plenty of PT.

You can go online at the UPS site to file a claim. Did you write down the person's name, date and time spoken to the rep. That would be helpful. Keep going forward, you will succeed.

Also, EBay has a money back guarantee. They need to  honor their commitment.

As far as Ebay "protection plan" goes, is if you ask them to step in, their decision is final. The UPS tracking number stated it was delivered here, but it wasn't. I had to call UPS (sit on hold forever) to finally understand it was sent elsewhere. PayPal right now is being run out of the country by email, so they did  not bother to call UPS, but took the sellers word because of the tracking.