Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be careful buying off eBay!

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva :  Then you would be wrong, there are no paper towels at all in my community of 13,000.  I've tried every store, multiple times over last month.  Isn't available for delivery from Sams, Costco, or Amazon (unless you are willing to wait two months). We are 30 miles from nearest town and three hours from Phoenix.  Don't assume that All of US have what's available to you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman :  I ordered a case of t.p. from Quill last week.  Order seemed to go through and when it didn't arrive I contacted them.  They said they were out of supply and didn't know when it would be back.  Finally got some R.V. t.p. From Amazon today.  You have no idea how hard I've been trying to find any t.p. anywhere!

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

i really do not believe someone would pay $75 for a roll of paper towels.

It was 12 rolls, not one....and believe it.

but why?

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz 

That's unfortunate.

Admittedly, I was NOT ordering TP as I normally have several large packs in reserve.  However, I did find some 7th Generation TP at Vitacost.  It is recycled paper, but I've used it before and it's fine for my needs.  

I kept the "good stuff" for DH as he is more particular than me.

However, I did order paper towlels and think they were shown in stock.

The pricing was certainly reasonable, but time will tell if they can deliver.  

I appreciated hearing about the website just the same since it is a company rather than an individual seller, which gives me greater confidence of getting what I wanted.

In my search, I remember seeing some of that RV TP, but, by then, I had found what I needed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

last week, out of desperation, I bought a package of paper towels from a dealer on eBay. To be noted, it was at least twice the amount of money I would've paid in the store. We were unable to find them in our local area, so I thought eBay might be a good start. The seller, ship them to the wrong address, but somehow the UPS tracking said it was delivered to my home. I called UPS and spoke to customer service representative. He checked the tracking, and said it was indeed sent to another address, not mine, but in the same state. He said that the seller used an incorrect shipping label. I don't know how the tracking said it was delivered to my house, but it wasn't. I tried contacting this person on eBay, with no results. I opened a case against him, citing the fact that if they checked with UPS to see where the package went, they would understand that I did not receive it. Apparently at least three other people had the same problem. eBay ruled in the sellers favor, and I am out $75 for paper towels I did not receive. Be very careful when you buy on eBay. I learned a hard lesson.

@Effie54 - the other issue with eBay.  I was searching for masks.  I found a vendor and looked at "about us".  It showed an American company.  Since I wanted them ASAP, delivery time was important.  I purchased them and on the email receipt, the vendor was located in China.  A month later still waiting, deceptive advertising 

I agree....same here. I bought masks from Walmart.com and it was the same situation. They said "fast" delivery. However, it is a 2-3 week delivery (we want them now!) and it is from China. On eBay, they misrepresent themselvs as American sellers, when in fact, the items are from China. 

Respected Contributor

I been buying from Ebay sellers for 14 years. In these years 2 items arrived broken and the sellers refunded my money promptly. I use paypal and no issue with an incorrect address ever.  As far as ordering paper towels or toilet paper from Ebay I would not do this. Here are a few suggestions for finding these items. 

Check boxed.com everyday EARLY in the morning. I have purchased name brand toilet paper and paper towels from them recently. Last week I bought a 64 oz. bottle of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. They are not price gouging at all. If you order enough at one time you may receive free shipping. Also try $ store for paper products. Check Target and Walmart on line in the mornings for these items. If you are a senior don't hesitate to ask the store managers if they have a supply set aside for seniors. Some stores are doing this. I have shared toilet paper with my neighbors when they were running low and even mailed some to my daughter who lives in Chicago.  I never buy more than one package at a time but if I am in a store and they have some I buy a package. 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54   Right now boxed.com has 12 rolls of their brand of paper towels for $19. If your order is $79 or more the shipping is free. No reason at all to pay an outrageous amount for paper towels.