Respected Contributor

I may be late to the game on this issue but I have been recently purchasing these Duracell Optimum batteries wanting a longer charge.  This is the third package (I bought 4) that are leaking and corroding before I use them.  The packages were bought at different retailers and of course I don't have my receipts.  Think twice before you try these.  

00EBB177-3802-40D8-A3BF-9A068A4E5658.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Battery Alert!

[ Edited ]

@BornToShop  ......  I had the same problem with the Duracell batteries I bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago. Brand new and when I opened the packages there were several corroded batteries. Mine were not the Optimum batteries though.

Super Contributor

mine didn't corrode, but didn't last any longer than the regular version. 

Trusted Contributor
My husband couldn’t open his safe, called mfg he said replace batteries, my husband did, still didn’t work the man asked for the I’d number on package, certain pkgs were defective. My husband bought new batteries and it worked. I returned my mega pkg to Costco.
Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop  I use the Duracell Coppertop Alkaline long-lasting batteries because they last longer than Energizer, and have not had that issue. I always have indoor seasonal decorations, and a few indoor fountains that require many batteries, so I need dependable ones.

I have not tried the Optimum, and based on the issue you are having, I doubt that I will, although it might just be a widely distributed bad batch. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles    Don't buy these.  Trust me on that one!

Honored Contributor

We will never buy Duracell batteries again.  We've had problems for the past few years with them leaking and damaging the items they were in (including a digital camera; ruined it).

These weren't batteries that were old; they were still years in-date (many supposed to be good until 2022 and 2024) and I took photos to send to Duracell, but decided they weren't worth the effort.  Others who had complained on their website just got the runaround.

However, I did go online and do some research and there are hundreds (thousands?) of complaints out there about leaking Duracell batteries.  I will never risk any of our items again.  (I think they used to be made here, but now they're made in China.  Go figure.)

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop- Did you pay by credit card?  If you did, you should be able to get a copy of your receipts from there.

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@SandySparkles    Don't buy these.  Trust me on that one!

@BornToShop, thanks for the snapshot and advice!

Honored Contributor

The date on the package is guaranteed for the battery to be fully charged while still in the package, not in your device.  You don't get 10 years of battery life in your device; you get the guarantee that the battery will be good for 10 years while in the original package waiting to be used.

It is recommended to never leave batteries in devices that are not used frequently.  We take ours out of cameras, etc.

You have to check the batteries themselves for origin; Duracell batteries come from various sources, including the USA, although those are more about assembled in the USA with foreign materials.

We only had one bad package of new batteries leaking a few years ago, made in a foreign county.

We still use Duracell with no problems today, although the Optimum is not one we buy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh