Honored Contributor

Re: Barbie dolls - new body shapes

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I hope no little girls get upset because they don't look like the monsters of the Monster High line of dolls. I hope he littl boys don't get upset that they can't spin a web from their wrist either. Just toys that is all it is. The "cupcake generation" being coddled again.

I don't think body image issues are confined to today's generation.  

I am happy I don't have such a sneering disdain for the young people of today.  We're the ones on the way out. They will take over the reins and I have every hope they will fix a lot of the bad stuff we left for them.

@mstyrion 1

I swear I hadn't read the above post of yours when I wrote mine saying essentially the same thing, lol.

------

Yeah right LOL

Don't assume others are like yourself.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I hope no little girls get upset because they don't look like the monsters of the Monster High line of dolls. I hope he littl boys don't get upset that they can't spin a web from their wrist either. Just toys that is all it is. The "cupcake generation" being coddled again.

I don't think body image issues are confined to today's generation.  

I am happy I don't have such a sneering disdain for the young people of today.  We're the ones on the way out. They will take over the reins and I have every hope they will fix a lot of the bad stuff we left for them.

@mstyrion 1

I swear I hadn't read the above post of yours when I wrote mine saying essentially the same thing, lol.

------

Yeah right LOL

Don't assume others are like yourself.

It's not worth it. Replying in this situation just gives them what they want. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

While I applaud the 'new' Barbies, I still recognize what an amazing advertising ploy Mattel has organized.

Just think of all of the clothes that are going to have to be bought for the 'new' Barbies?

So I think I'll be out buying Mattel stock.  People will have to buy new Barbie clothes for those new Barbies.

My grandchildren have 'passed down' from their Moms (my daughters) amazing Barbie clothes.  I bought Barbie clothes that were made by Bob Mackie and other designers.

We had a Sony and Cher doll and they had Bob Mackie amazing clothes.

I wonder if my daughter that has girls 5 - 9 will be buying the new Barbie?  Probably not since she is built like the old Barbie.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

While I applaud the 'new' Barbies, I still recognize what an amazing advertising ploy Mattel has organized.

Just think of all of the clothes that are going to have to be bought for the 'new' Barbies?

So I think I'll be out buying Mattel stock.  People will have to buy new Barbie clothes for those new Barbies.

My grandchildren have 'passed down' from their Moms (my daughters) amazing Barbie clothes.  I bought Barbie clothes that were made by Bob Mackie and other designers.

We had a Sony and Cher doll and they had Bob Mackie amazing clothes.

I wonder if my daughter that has girls 5 - 9 will be buying the new Barbie?  Probably not since she is built like the old Barbie.  

My daughter is past the Barbie stage but she told me today she wants one of the new ones. In fact some of her friends are also interested in getting the new Barbie's I think it's more in support of Mattel making this decision. I don't think she will be buying outfits for her Barbie though. My mom made clothes for mine when I was a kid. 

Honored Contributor

I'm guessing the new Barbies will be collector items. 

My daughter loved her Barbies, she started young, I don't remember her age then, but she used to take their heads off and cut and style their hair.  Then she wondered why their heads never looked right.  Thankfully she grew out of that.

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh don't get me started on the hair cutting. My daughter cut her own hair so often I had to hide the scissors. Now she still cuts her hair, but she follows you tube videos to get the style she wants. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

This same discussion has been going on for several decades.

I don't understand why so many people here have it in for young people today.

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I don't understand why so many people here have it in for young people today

-------

A lesson in reading comprehension might come in handy. I NEVER said I didn't like this generation. I think they are wonderful. I don't like the ADULTs coddling them.

100% AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Oh my gosh don't get me started on the hair cutting. My daughter cut her own hair so often I had to hide the scissors. Now she still cuts her hair, but she follows you tube videos to get the style she wants. 

@jaxs mom

Oh, yeah!  Mine cut her bangs once around that time.  At an angle, on a slant, about one inch long on one side.    Then she cried so hard and asked me to fix it.  I told her there was no way to fix it.  Learning the hard way, she never cut her hair again, LOL.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

-------

A lesson in reading comprehension might come in handy. I NEVER said I didn't like his generation. I think they are wonderful. I don't like the ADULTs coddling them.

Oh, please, I can outdo you in reading comprehension any day.

You didn't have to say you didn't like this generation, your sneer was very clear from your derogatory term "the cupcake generation." 

And by all reason, their parents are also the young generation, it isn't senior citizens giving birth to those kids.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

-------

A lesson in reading comprehension might come in handy. I NEVER said I didn't like this generation. I think they are wonderful. I don't like the ADULTs coddling them.

100% AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The adults are also a young generation.  Think about it.  Unless you assume  people well into middle age or senior citizens are giving birth.