Respected Contributor

Got an email from my bank that my bank card could be compromised - called bank - evidently a "large retailer" has just advised them they have had their system compromised.  They wouldn't say who but said it could be on the news.  So keep an eye on your bank account.  They are issuing a new card shortly. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Got an email from my bank that my bank card could be compromised - called bank - evidently a "large retailer" has just advised them they have had their system compromised.  They wouldn't say who but said it could be on the news.  So keep an eye on your bank account.  They are issuing a new card shortly. 

In the last 5-6 years I've had my bank send me new cards with a retail breach, one being TJ Maxx.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Be careful.  I wouldn't automatically trust bank notifications by e-mail.  I hope you called your bank on a phone number you know is their actual phone number.  I hope you didn't call a phone number on the e-mail.

Respected Contributor

Curious why they wouldn't tell you who it was 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Must be an agreement between the CC company and the merchants.  I've never been told where my card was breached.

Super Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Be careful.  I wouldn't automatically trust bank notifications by e-mail.  I hope you called your bank on a phone number you know is their actual phone number.  I hope you didn't call a phone number on the e-mail.

omigosh, I hope so too.  I hope OP specifically signed up for email alerts. Otherwise, Id be very worried about this sort of thing. I hope she didn't have to give her address or confirm any information or anything like that unless she called a known number for the bank/credit card ( that was not given in the email itself)

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

They usually won't say until after a full investigation has been completed.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee and @tansy, thanks.  I thought they had to tell you if you asked.   

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000- I called my local bank's number - I don't trust emails either - that's why I called to see if it was true or not.

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Bri36 - I asked - all she could say was "large retailer".