Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ban Balloon Launches Save Wildlife

I'm totally against the release of balloons. It causes so many injuries to the sealife and other wildlife. The plastic piece that holds a 6-pk together drives me crazy. I sit there and cut it up into small pieces. The ring on a plastic bottle and even the cap is detrimental. 

Some wildlife, especially birds, swallow these things and can't pass them and can't eat - a terrible ending.

Honored Contributor

I, too, cut up all sorts of plastic.  I also do my best not to buy it in the first place.  I cut up rubber bands, too.  And I take care to clean out cans and things that a wild creature could get its head stuck in.  It's completely worth it to me, not to mention to any and all creatures who might not have to suffer because of something I neglected.

I am just thrilled to read that so many of you do the same!

@riley1 @Carmie @Noel7  @occasionalrain @SXMGirl @Kalli 

@webbgarner1

If I missed anyone, it was just an oversight.  You are all exemplary citizens!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain-

I was thinking that too when I saw the balloons being released and the pink and white ones taken to the school.

I was surprised that people are still doing this and maybe not everyone is aware of how many problems they are for our wildlife.

I was sad about this too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the baywrote:

@occasionalrain-

I was thinking that too when I saw the balloons being released and the pink and white ones taken to the school.

I was surprised that people are still doing this and maybe not everyone is aware of how many problems they are for our wildlife.

I was sad about this too.

Hi @occasionalrain

I don't know if this was on tv, or locally, but if locally and you know the name of the school or whichever group is releasing them, you could contact them to let them know.  No doubt you've thought of that already.

Edited to add:  Back when my daughter was in elementary school, her school had a couple of balloon launches.  We were all clueless back then - it was the 80s.  But it wasn't long before someone saw the light and the launches were nevermore.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach-

The balloon releases were shown in several different places in Florida to honor the 17 victims.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I would like to add that the mylar balloons can spark fires if they hit power lines. They are extremely dangerous.

We too, cut up plastic rings and we recycle everthing allowed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie, I was a boater for a long time and always took my trash and others home with me.  I took the Coast Guard courses and I do not remember them covering basic manners of the water.  I get really angry when I see trash just dumped on our river.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @on the bay  I haven't been watching all the news lately.

Honored Contributor

Hello fellow snip - ers.  

We try try not to purchase any of those products, and snip any that we find.

What kind of thinking allows people to use the world as a personal trash can? 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Yes I agree, it is dangerous to ALL wildlife......and totally unnecessary!