Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Bella Carro

I agree.

The junior high near us has some type of detectors mounted at either end of the "school zone."  It is supposed to detect cell phones of drivers in use.

I would highly speculate the authenticity of these 'detectors.'

It's like the fake alarm sign & outside home cameras people put outside their home.

Will it make a difference?  Maybe, but there's something ethically not right about a fake deterrent.  Many will argue my points.   Yes, it's wrong to break the law, but there's a tipping point regarding ethics. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Drivers

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Buck!  Glad I'm not the only one.  I was wondering if I was just being rigid, since so many people do this.   In my view, there are lanes defined for very specific reasons.    

I've heard 'well, it was hard to stay in the lane on the bend' to which I would reply 'uh, well, then you are going too fast for the street you're travelling on'.   Is that so hard to comprehend?   Like they didn't learn about the accelerator and the brake and the steering wheel, and all that stuff, as pertains to operating a vehicle on a street?   argh

I think I could write a book about boneheaded driving moves of some.  It's one of the reasons I don't like to get out there any more than I have to, these days.  I'm on my last car and I cannot have somebody else demolish it.  Not to mention the level of rage that would enter my mind and body at the point to which some idiot wrecks my car!   Scary thought!  I'll do my part and you (the generic you) just do your part and nobody gets hurt.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We still have the orange cones on practically all the major thoroughfares and in many cases are zigzagging our lanes and then merging into one single lane without warning.  No reflectors on any of them at night and while I know what to expect from driving these roads everyday, it's extremely dangerous when others not familiar, drive haphazardly.  The local news said there were 300 something road projects from March.  The workers are milking them for job security.  In previous years, road construction would be round the clock 24/7......those days are long gone, no night shift, no overtime, etc.  There are streets so torn up that it is adversely affecting businesses as it makes it extremely difficult to get in and out of their parking lot.  Cars are making left turns from the right hand lane because 3 lane roads have been turned into 1 lane in each direction and while they are doing that, cross traffic is making a right turn from their farthest lane.  This is the new normal.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen a few bicyclers texting.  'Pretty soon' the youngsters on their three-wheel bikes will be texting while pedaling............ 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

OMG, you are so right on ! Twice in one week, I have had people pull out in front of me so that I had to brake. There was no one behind me in both instances. I tapped my horn to show my displeasure (I know you're not supposed to do that, but dang.....) and both times the driver stuck their arms out the window and gave me the finger. What ?? Is this what's taught now ?

Yep, and after the big rush to pull out in front of you, they proceed to drive like they're in a funeral procession.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

ROMARY 1 wrote:

I've seen a few bicyclers texting.  'Pretty soon' the youngsters on their three-wheel bikes will be texting while pedaling............ 

Yeah, cuz doncha know every three year old simply MUST have their own iPhone.  SMH

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I believe the detectors are a type of "sonic" radar?  They are funny looking.  But they work on a busy street/school zone/kids running from out between cars because their rides don't want to follow procedures.

The teens used to tell me "they did too work because I saw such and such pulled over for a ticket for cell phone use."

The traffic is automatically slow in a school zone, so this may be why they work.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When they have those holiday roadblocks and check for DUIs (where I live) I am always surprised when I read they stopped SO many people with NO license or a suspended one. I think they should take their cars away, store them and make them pay to get them back. No excuse for this and they get off way toooooo easy. Same with people driving and texting! Take their vehicles away and they can WALK and text all they want. 

Respected Contributor

@2blonde

Another Stang driver here. 👍. We can only hope they hear the roar of our exhaust system and get out of the way!

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@2blonde

Another Stang driver here. 👍. We can only hope they hear the roar of our exhaust system and get out of the way!

The only car I can identify by sound are Mustangs.  (Well--the ones with duel exhaust, GT's?)  Unmistakeable.