Honored Contributor

Sorry you don't enjoy it.  For quite a few years DH and I went to the St. Pete Beach area for a couple weeks during the spring training time for baseball.  We loved it! Of course, it was never really, really hot then which was great.  We had said that if we could afford it, we would love to move down there but since we couldn't, it was a moot point.  We found people to be really friendly, helpful and kind.  Neither of us is that well and we have a hard time dealing with the cold and snow, etc.  However, I can understand that the heat, etc. could get to a person as well.  We have friends in Florida who have loved there for many years and they say that yes, the summers can be brutal, but they still prefer it to the winters we are subject to.  I still think I would rather deal with the heat --- there's air conditioning -- then have to worry about constantly digging out, worries of falls on ice, etc.  But I am sorry that you are unhappy there and hope you ca find a solution! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I have lived in north florida mostly my whole life and still not used to the summers.  Growing up we had 4 seasons but now it is cold a few days and cool a few weeks and back to hot.  It is only February and it will be in 80s this week.  It is not even 7 in the morning and almost 70.  Most of the people who are happy here like heat.  They are freezing if it drops below 60.  To enjoy Florida you have to like heat and the beach.  

Respected Contributor

I can understand your concern.  I would suggest you look at the West Coast of Florida, Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda, Sarasota, Venice.  It is very different than the east coast and might be more to your liking.  It is more laid back, not as crazy and "big" city like, traffic is much better as well.  It offers many advantages that the East Coast does not especially coming from Ohio.  I think it might be more suitable for you.  The summers are hot and humid but everything is air conditioned.  I have been, here, 22 years after leaving metro NY and chose the West Coast since the East Coast for me was like living in NY which was not what I wanted.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom - SC is not too different from Fl. Gets extremely hot/humid from June-August. Even if you plan on doing things in the morning it is quite warm/humid. The nights don't cool off either.

We also have mosquitoes that are huge, bugs and a variety of snakes. 

Traffic is now all year round. We used to get a couple of months that were tourist free but now it seems to be an all year long thing. 

If you were thinking of coming here, I would highly recommend you rent from June-August to see how you do in the heat. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's important that you live in a place where you both will be happy.  Maybe as someone has suggested a different part of FL.  Sarasota/Venice especially I was very impressed with although personally I would never live in FL year round.  Women seem to be more adaptable than men so we tend to give in but if I were you, I would make it clear that FL full time is out of the question.  

Respected Contributor

@BuckeyeMom 

best advice:  create a written or computer-generated list of his pro’s and con’s for the FL move and on the opposite column, note yours.

Discuss from points on the paper...not from memory.  You cannot change the written word while the mind can and does play tricks !

Bottomline:  you are just as important to the decision making as he is.  “ Happy Wife/ Happy Life “ is true for a reason.  You have a right to happiness as does he.

If you look for a condo, look to rent for the winter and not buy.  It will be cheaper than a permanent move followed by a return once the whole year there is tried out.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Re: Back from FL

[ Edited ]

Hubby & I go to St. Pete Beach every March.  We love it.  We drive all over from there & go to spring training games.  It's a nice central location even from/to Tampa.

We stayed on Longboat Key a few times but traffic going north was just too much to deal with.  We used to talk about buying a place but have decided it's better to just rent - less to deal with including hurricanes.  

in January it's still pretty cool -  March will be warmer.

Hope you and your hubby can come to some kind of compromise.  But 3 months seems perfect.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Back from FL

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what exactly you disliked about Florida per se...but there are many other beach/coastal areas besides Florida, if that is what you are looking for!  Perhaps  visit many other areas...before committing to a move...Good luck!