Highlighted
Respected Contributor

BUM KNEE Question (Joint Aspiration)

Have you ever had synovial fluid aspirated from your knee?

How did the Dr. SEE what he was doing?  Did he use an Ultrasound machine?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: BUM KNEE Question (Joint Aspiration)

[ Edited ]

I had it done on my right knee once.  It was done by a physician's assistant.  He felt around the knee and inserted the needle where it was supposed to go.

The needle and syringe were huge and I almost had a heat attack when I saw it, but he numbed my knee first.  There was absolutely no pain.

I would not be afraid to have it done again.

Honored Contributor

My husband has had fluid drawn off his knee every 6 months for the last 3 years.   An ortho PA at the VA draws it off in the clinic.   

The fluid gathers in one specific area, so it is easy to insert the needle into that spot and draw the fluid out.   It's not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

How does the doctor see what he is doing?  Clearly with his eyes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I did in my 20's after a knee injury. The swelling didn't subside even with restrictive Ace bandaging.

My PCP palpated my knee and yes, the needle and syringe were huge and it was PAINFUL!

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina. I've had it done several times over the years.  The doc can tell from feeling and looking.  Yes, a bit painful but much better to have the fluid removed.  Good luck.