Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@catlover Like so many, we bought one, used it for a while, then it went to the back of the closet. My husband did not like the texture of the dough, or the bread always seemed to come out in a twisted knot kind of thing. It seemed like the final product was always too rubbery.

@furbabylover 

What brand was that? When mine gives out I do not want to buy that one. LOL. I use mine often. I usually share with my neighbor.

Respected Contributor

I use my Zo all the time.  I make all our bread, rolls, and sweat rolls.  When you couldn't find bread in the store, I made it for some friends.  Luckily I had a new 1lb bag of yeast I could share.  

Respected Contributor

@spent2much If money isn't an issue use a bed,bath & beyond coupon and get a Zo. They have 2 paddles and that makes a huge difference in your finished product.  Another good brand is Cuisnart.  Less expensive, but good.  I have no idea about Wolfgang's, but there should be some reviews on hsn. I've had over 20 years of experience with bread machines.  I also worked for Colorado State University extension department and helped make high altitude adjustments for the machines. I hope that helps.  Happy baking

Esteemed Contributor

I just made 3rd loaf of bread with

"As Is" Cook's Essentials 1.5-lb Stainless Steel Breadmaker

Very easy to use.  Very happy so far!

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

LOL, @lovesallanimals, I watched the Wolfgang one this weekend and then I remembered that I had his older one in my garage. So, I got that out and have made 2 different kinds of bread. I am going to make sourdough this weekend, since that is what I like to have with a bowl of soup, and it is finally cooling down here in AZ. It seems like I  am seeing more bread maker presentations lately on these shopping channels: Curtis Stone, Wolfgang, GZ have all had new ones recently.

I am glad I rediscovered mine.

@Lisa now in AZ it does seem like kitchen gadgets seem to run in cycles.  

Do you have to make a starter for bread machine sourdough?

Trusted Contributor

Re: BREAD MACHINES

[ Edited ]

We did have a bread machine. I never used it, not once. I love to knead dough myself. DH used it, maybe three times. We ended up giving it away.

Since I've retired, I spend a day a week up to my elbows in yeast dough. I have a tendency to make rolls and buns more than bread because they're easier to freeze. I'll make whole grains rolls and use different toppings. I make foccacia from time to time. DH and I don't eat a whole loaf of bread, but we do like a roll or a bun with dinner. Sometimes, when I make bread, I'll share with my sister and BIL.

I have sourdough starter in the fridge because we do love sourdough bread. (Got it from King Arthur and have kept it for several years now.) I love making sourdough pizza crust, I make sourdough soft pretzels, and even sourdough bagels from time to time. 

I've also started making my own pasta. We bought a pasta machine back in the spring. Even DH will help make pasta from time to time. 

For me, this is a way to relax. I enjoy it. Obviously, if one doesn't like to bake, you wouldn't enjoy playing with dough. I love it and it's a good way for me to spend a day. It's very therapeutic for me, the house smells wonderful, and we have freshly baked bread and rolls. 

Right now, I have a freezer bag of whole wheat bread dough in the fridge. I'm going to make breadsticks to go with dinner tonight. A wee bit of garlic butter, some freshly-grated Parmesan and I'm good to go!

Super Contributor

@JudyL  Waiting on the Wolfgang TS from a week ago. Please share how you keep your bread fresh. Used to have a bread machine years ago and I remember it was so difficult to keep it fresh longer than a day or so. Thanks

Valued Contributor

@tiny 2  It is a top-of-the-line Zojirushi machine. Expensive, and worst piece of junk ever. I think the idea of a bread machine is brilliant, we have just never had any luck with ours. Hope you find a great one!!

Respected Contributor

@cozyseeker wrote:

@JudyL  Waiting on the Wolfgang TS from a week ago. Please share how you keep your bread fresh. Used to have a bread machine years ago and I remember it was so difficult to keep it fresh longer than a day or so. Thanks

I love my Wolfgang Puck machine, perfect ever time!  I make the 2 lb. loaf and keep it in an extra large zip lock bag.  I think it is he quart size, but it is the largest one they have and my bread fits perfectly inside and keeps it fresh.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@tiny 2  It is a top-of-the-line Zojirushi machine. Expensive, and worst piece of junk ever. I think the idea of a bread machine is brilliant, we have just never had any luck with ours. Hope you find a great one!!

@furbabylover  - I so agree with you!!!

Zojirushi is the most over-rated bread machine there is.  I actually ended up owning 2 of them, many years apart.  Got rid of both of them.  They baked very unevenly and had a thick brown crust even on the lightest setting.  Not impressed at all, especially for the high price.  Don't waste your money.  

I use very old West Bend ones, Made in USA yet.  Got one at Goodwill and the other off ebay.  They make the best bread!  I always make the one one with milk as the liquid and it is so delicious!  Exactly like homemade bread should be.

Notes - I sent in a 2 star review on the Zo bread maker and they (Bed Bath & Beyond) never showed it.  It appears they only use high reviews.  I also have gotten other brands at Goodwill and they worked very well, much better than Zo ones.