Trusted Contributor

Anyone here from Nebraska and did you watch the HBO documentory on the 6 people who are now found innocent of the murder of the lady in Beatrice NE? 

Super Contributor

@Calcgirl I live 40 miles from Beatrice, my husband was from Beatrice and my sister still lives there.  

I don't subscribe to HBO, so I didn't watch the documentory.  However, I'm sure it doesn't contain any new details about the case.

My thoughts were & still are at least some of the 6 were there or close to the actual rapist (Smith) and did know what happened.  While the police tactics were much different in that era, the 6 would not be chared with murder in todays time, possible more assessories to the crime.

Sadly, Gage county is still paying the 6 through a special property tax levied.  That means that my sister is paying even though she moved to Beatrice after the crime & trial.  And if anyone moves into Gage county before the millions are paid off, they will also be paying.

The insurance company continued to deny the county was covered under a policy for liability, although they have now paid 6 million of the claims.

Respected Contributor

I watched.  Its mind boggling to me that they confessed.  I guess tho, if youre subject to that kind of interrogation you might very well crack.  It was a horrific crime.  Very perplexing, but after watching, Im not sure thay are all innocent.