Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,838
Registered: ‎03-29-2019

@furbabylover wrote:

@Ibby114  I forgot to add, I have never had a website require credit card information BEFORE seeing your final cart.


 

 

 

 

 

I have.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,027
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

If they ask for personal information, ie, credit card info, etc. before getting to the last page where I could see that my order and price are correct-----I would move on. Martha has so many businesses - she really can't keep track. Maybe u could post on her FB page.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,696
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

@kivah wrote:

If they ask for personal information, ie, credit card info, etc. before getting to the last page where I could see that my order and price are correct-----I would move on. Martha has so many businesses - she really can't keep track. Maybe u could post on her FB page.


@kivah  Martha doesn't keep track of these things. She has people who handle it. I think she has the final say in her products and puts her name on them. That's it.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,027
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@kivah wrote:

If they ask for personal information, ie, credit card info, etc. before getting to the last page where I could see that my order and price are correct-----I would move on. Martha has so many businesses - she really can't keep track. Maybe u could post on her FB page.


@kivah  Martha doesn't keep track of these things. She has people who handle it. I think she has the final say in her products and puts her name on them. That's it.


I don't even think celebrities/sports figures have the final say. Their names are used to sell the products. Great money for doing nothing.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,290
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

@furbabylover wrote:

I am really ticked off! I just went on Martha Stewart's wine website because they sent me an email offering 40% off all wines and a free expensive air wine opener. So I spent 20 minutes selecting the wines to make up a case and then went to check out. Before they would let me get to the final page they required that I put in all personal and credit card information. I did that, then went to review my order. Half the wines were gone, and so was the expensive wine opener. At the top of the page it said "these items are not available".  Not only that, there were now 2 wines in my list that I had NOT put there!! Now they have all my personal info. I blocked the order because it was now at a lesser discount price because it was half of a case. Why even list wines that are not available? Shouldn't Martha have someone monitoring the website at all times to keep up with shifting inventory? The part I don't like is that now they have all my personal info. 


@furbabylover 

 

It's annoying, I know, but I'm sure there were many, many thousands of people who got those emails and you weren't the first person to shop there.  Quantities dwindle and it's first come, first served.  Especially on Black Friday weekend.   It is what it is.

 

Pick something else, or shop somewhere else.  Retailers are trying to have plenty of stock because online shopping has soared this year.  I wouldn't blame Martha any more than I would blame you for being too slow to go online and order.   

 

If you'e really that upset, email their Customer Service and complain. While you're at it, ask if there will be more supplies and today's specials honored.  It never hurts to ask.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,696
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

@kivah wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@kivah wrote:

If they ask for personal information, ie, credit card info, etc. before getting to the last page where I could see that my order and price are correct-----I would move on. Martha has so many businesses - she really can't keep track. Maybe u could post on her FB page.


@kivah  Martha doesn't keep track of these things. She has people who handle it. I think she has the final say in her products and puts her name on them. That's it.


I don't even think celebrities/sports figures have the final say. Their names are used to sell the products. Great money for doing nothing.


@kivah  I agree with using the famous names however I believe Martha is totally involved with setting up and approving what she sells. I'm sure she tasted, approved and chose all the wines. As far as customer service and any problems, I believe she has people that are hired for that.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 49,693
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@furbabylover.  Unless you actually entered the order, its probable no one has your personal information.  You say you "blocked" it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 49,693
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@furbabylover wrote:

@Ibby114  The thing is, Martha is STILL advertising all the same wines and the free wine opener as available on her site. At some point somebody on her staff should check this.


@furbabylover. Martha Stewart, Inc. has probably contracted with some entity to run the website.  This is very commonly done. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,695
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@furbabylover wrote:

@Ibby114  I forgot to add, I have never had a website require credit card information BEFORE seeing your final cart.


@furbabylover - I have, more than once and, unless it's something I really want, I just leave the website.

 

However, unless you actually had to set up an account with your information, I don't think they'll still have it.  I assume you simply canceled what you were planning to order?  That should have deleted the information you entered, as the order wasn't completed (until you hit "submit", which authorizes them to charge your card).

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,376
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@furbabylover wrote:

I am really ticked off! I just went on Martha Stewart's wine website because they sent me an email offering 40% off all wines and a free expensive air wine opener. So I spent 20 minutes selecting the wines to make up a case and then went to check out. Before they would let me get to the final page they required that I put in all personal and credit card information. I did that, then went to review my order. Half the wines were gone, and so was the expensive wine opener. At the top of the page it said "these items are not available".  Not only that, there were now 2 wines in my list that I had NOT put there!! Now they have all my personal info. I blocked the order because it was now at a lesser discount price because it was half of a case. Why even list wines that are not available? Shouldn't Martha have someone monitoring the website at all times to keep up with shifting inventory? The part I don't like is that now they have all my personal info. 


@furbabylover   Don't know if you like Biltmore Estates Wine, but they are also having a sale and free shipping.  I finished up my shopping tonight.