Honored Contributor

Re: Avoid This Genetic Testing Scam

I would never agree to any kind of genetic testing unless my doctor told me, face to face, I needed it for a very serious condition.

I'm 66 and I have to study some of the snail mail & emails I get. The scammers are clever.   I know many doctors offices like to do business now by the internet & text.   I'm considered a dinosaur because I like the phone or in person to carry on business.

I have an older relative that I scold regularly for giving out seemingly innocuous information over the phone to strangers who call.   Scammers can take even innocent information & cause you grief in the long run.   

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I got this email too yesterday. I get these scam calls too. This isn't the first time for this one.

I've also been getting scam calls from so-called Social Sec Admin. This is the 2nd time around for this one too. This one in fact gets 'threatening' too ie, you're heading to jail for cashing in on someone else's benefits.

And then there are always the ones from microsoft, something's wrong with your computer, you must long on right now so we can help you get rid of gremlins.

Two days ago my phone rang at least 20 times with scammers, Ikid you not. I just let it ring.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreeI was just reacting to the Medicare mention in the OP{ -  and then recalling a long conversation I had had with a friend who was called repeatedly about hearing aids. 

She insisted those calls were from Medicare and that that made it safe for her to answer.  I'm just hoping that because she lives with one of her sons, she will run any purchase past them!

Esteemed Contributor

I got the email and deleted.

Later I got to wondering if we are also seeing emails warning of a scam actually being a scam.

It is complicated.

Honored Contributor

Given the fact that I pretty much know what is going to kill me based on family history I'll pass on it.!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  I’m trying to follow the line. So a scammer calls and offers you a test, and they need your Medicare number. And what happens then? Do they schedule the test that you end up having to pay for because it’s a scam? Or do you order the test? Can you even do that without an order from the doctor? 

Now that the Medicare number is no longer the Social Security number, what kind of damage can be done? 

But what I’m really interested in is what I said first. How do you get a “free” test that you may have to pay for by giving your Medicare number to a scammer?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Once I passed 60, I noticed the scammer phone calls increased dramatically.  Now that I'm 70, I get tons of them (my nomorobo catches most of them, but I see them on my land line caller ID).

I think it should be a crime for any solicitor to even call anyone over 65, because you know they are picking on them because they are often more vulnerable.  It's akin to old ladies being robbed in the grocery store parking lot.  Thank God I at least still have my wits about me and don't even answer the phone.

Image result for youth and energy loses to age and devious old and

I cut-em-off at the pass and never answer. Rude of them to think old=stupid. Guess they never were taught this.