Honored Contributor

Avoid This Genetic Testing Scam

I got this e-mail from Medicare today.  

Have you heard about the latest scam? Scammers are offering “free” genetic tests and claiming Medicare will cover it — so they can get your Medicare Number and use it to commit fraud and identity theft. They’re targeting people through telemarketing calls, health fairs, and even knocking on doors.

Only a doctor you know and trust should order and approve any requests for genetic testing. If Medicare is billed for a test or screening that wasn’t medically necessary and/or wasn’t ordered by your doctor, the claim could be denied. That means you could be responsible for the entire cost of the test, which could be thousands of dollars.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Avoid This Genetic Testing Scam

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up.👍

‘I know some people that might fall for this.

Honored Contributor

I got that too.

Esteemed Contributor

You have to be so careful today. 

Honored Contributor

I got this e-mail too.

Still difficult to believe anyone would give out Medicare info on the phone these days, but I could understand how this could happen if they just send you a test kits in the mail.

D10D2D28-FB2D-4F90-A2F2-536C34AD4546.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Sadly, so many of the emails and calls purportedly from Medicare aren't really from Medicare.   They come from vendors of genetic testing, from sellers of hearing aids, from surigical suppliers, etc.  -  It could be from anyone trying to get us to buy something that's "free" or practically free -  NOT -   someone is paying.  You as the one scammed or you as a taxpayer!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got this call today while I was out, listened to the voicemail. It came from this number:

479-221-9041

The caller ID was the same as the phone number itself minus the - in between. Just the phone numbers all run together.

Respected Contributor

Once I passed 60, I noticed the scammer phone calls increased dramatically.  Now that I'm 70, I get tons of them (my nomorobo catches most of them, but I see them on my land line caller ID).

I think it should be a crime for any solicitor to even call anyone over 65, because you know they are picking on them because they are often more vulnerable.  It's akin to old ladies being robbed in the grocery store parking lot.  Thank God I at least still have my wits about me and don't even answer the phone.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@millieshops 

None of those calls, emails and Facebook solicitations about genetic testing come for Medicare.  Not a single one.

Honored Contributor

My husband got one of those calls.  Even if it was true, I wouldn't want Medicare knowing my genetic background or susceptibility to disease.