Respected Contributor

Availability? - Fentanyl Test Strips??

Have all States, or US Gov'tt approved of the use  & availability of "Fentenyl Test Strips?"  Anyone know?

Also, where are they available.  If they're all that effective, dont we need to make sure esp youth need these so available?  We have a big problem!  Too many "laced" deaths!

1)  "Fentanyl Test Strips on the Dance Floor? Partygoers Face New Reality" (ref:  WSJ)

2) "Fentanyl Test Strips Save Lives, Yet Most States Ban Them As “Drug Paraphernalia”"  (ref:  CATO.org)

3)   "Fentanyl Test Strips Are ‘Catching On’ Among Cocaine Users"

"A rise in overdoses has prompted some drug users to make testing a party ritual."  (ref:  NYT)

Regular Contributor

Re: Availability? - Fentanyl Test Strips??

IMO, the people who are using cocaine and other drugs aren't going to be standing around testing for fentanyl. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another crutch to promote  drug addiction .

Yes, can see that it could save lives , but does nothing to prevent teens and  adults from buying  home made drugs  made to look like Adderal over the internet .

Valued Contributor

I'm for anything that helps to prevent unnecessary death- clean needles, test strips, condoms, etc.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Another crutch to promote  drug addiction .

Yes, can see that it could save lives , but does nothing to prevent teens and  adults from buying  home made drugs  made to look like Adderal over the internet .

But it keeps them from dying when bootleg Adderall is laced with fentanyl.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of them but I don't believe they'd do much good. Most fentanyl deaths are drug users who know what they are taking. Fentanyl is their drug of choice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fentanyl death does not only affect users. A month ago a female Police Officer ingested fentanyl even while wearing gloves. She doesn't know how it happened but it was a good thing that another Officer was there and gave her three doses of Narcan. If she was alone during the traffic stop it could have been worse.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughters childhood friend has stage 4 breast cancer.  I visited her today and hospice has her on these strips, plus morphine and pecoset.(sp) and a few others and she is still in pain, very much.  She has not been a drug user

She wants to be done and go.  I've seen pain, but not this much.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 

seems to me that  people should be blocked from selling  home made pills  via the internet -  teens and others should only be taking meds prescribed by a real Doctor and get their prescriptions from a real pharmacy and not Drug Dealers

Honored Contributor

I don't know what to say.  I guess there are some situation where they could be useful.  But doesn't it seem in many ways that they are concentrating too much on more ways to make it easier for drug users to use drugs?  Instead of focusing on ways to prevent drug use and ways to keep more drugs from being manufactured and from coming into the country?  I heard the other day, I didn't get the whole story, but that there is another drug that is getting added which these strips can't detect.  No matter what they do, the people who are making the drugs are always upping their game it seems.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin