Honored Contributor

Everytime I step on brakes, my steering wheel vibrates.  I did a search online and it could be the rotors.  I called the dealer and they quoted me $324 w/labor and then I called Midas and they told me $200 w/labor plus they have coupons $20 off $200.  Why is it that the dealers are always more expensive than anyone else?   I will be going to Midas tomorrow.  I like saving money.  How about you?  Any auto repair price stories?    HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My husband is a mechanic, so I'll offer up this information.

Dealerships have people trained by the actual manufacturer of your car , they know and service your brand extensively, and should be using parts manufacturers recommend.

Other shops tend to (but not always, you can ask) use lesser quality parts, their mechanics might not have the training and certifications the dealerships do. 

That said, there are many good independent shops. Look for warranties on the parts and labor, look for the brands of parts they are using, and see if they can prove their technicians are ASE certified (and maybe some states have state certifications necessary as well).  

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1: it could also be something else...

There is a lot between Midas and a dealership. Once my car is out of warranty, I take it to a well- respected and highly rated independent auto service technician. They can diagnose most anything, often have the same diagnostic equipment (new and $$$$) as the dealership and charge a much lower hourly rate.

I drive a German luxury car. I found out through experience that I needed to find a tech who specializes in such cars. I did and he is great.

Midas would not be my first choice to diagnose and correct a problem with my car. At least near me, their techs and equipment are not the best. FWIW.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  Thank you for the excellent information.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1In addition to having someone actually checking out your car (you didn't say you'd already done that), I'd look for reviews on my local Midas and my dealer's service.

Honored Contributor

i would not take my car to the dealer (unless it is under warranty) and i would not take my car to a "chain shop." i think it is important to find a mechanic and independent repair shop you can trust and pretty much stick with them. they will become familiar with you and your cars. look on nextdoor or yelp or google to find places that people recommend. you will probably find that their pricing is somewhere in between the chain shop and the dealer......and almost ALWAYS cheaper than the dealer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I personally would never take my car to a chain shop like a Midas to be repaired.  That's just me.

Yes dealerships notoriously overcharge for the exact same thing (same parts included) as other independent shops.  But sometimes, there is something to be said for being loyal to a dealership.  Twice now I have had my dealership call GM about repairs that needed to be done to my car. Because I have had all my oil changes and repairs done at this dealership, GM has picked up a large chunk of the repair bill.  

Right now my car has a minor oil leak because of a bad seal.  My dealership has quoted me arou nd $1,200.00 for the repair.  I am going to look into a local shop and see what they would charge because I doubt GM is going to pick up the tab a third time.  

Respected Contributor

Usually when replacing rotors, you also replace the brakes. Without anyone looking at your car yet, there could be added costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

Midis will give you a lower quote but once there they will find other repairs that they will say are needed and they may not be needed.

My experience: I took my car to Midis some years ago because it was loud and I thought it was the muffler. I was told I needed a whole new exhaust system, expensive. I left to get a second opinion and stopped at a local independent shop.  All that was wrong was a clamp, cost around $20.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My husband is a mechanic, so I'll offer up this information.

Dealerships have people trained by the actual manufacturer of your car , they know and service your brand extensively, and should be using parts manufacturers recommend.

Other shops tend to (but not always, you can ask) use lesser quality parts, their mechanics might not have the training and certifications the dealerships do. 

That said, there are many good independent shops. Look for warranties on the parts and labor, look for the brands of parts they are using, and see if they can prove their technicians are ASE certified (and maybe some states have state certifications necessary as well).  

@Mominohio  Excellent explanation.

I will say that where I live, there is not much difference in price between dealer and independent mechanic.

Geniune manufacturer parts are so key.  I remember when the gas station replaced my brake pads on my 1982 Chevette.  They never felt right, made horrible noise.  I went back at least 5 times and then I think they went and purchased Chevy brake pads the last time.

I like going to the Toyota dealer because they get it right the first time.  I never have to go back 3-6 times until they figure it out.  I have argued with my sister so many times about this.  The shop will keep her car for days.  DAYS.

I also get a loaner for free, I can wait if it's just an oil change, or I can get a ride home and a ride back.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN