Honored Contributor

we use to bring our cars to off brand repair places to save money it brought us nothing but more problems.

we just go back to car dealerships now. they know our cars inside and out and take good care of us. they know when repairs are needed and remind us.

supposedly i was to have had my brake pads and rotors replaced several  years ago, paid I believe it was $300.00 to the off brand repair shop. within 1 yr my brakes began to squeal. my husband took my car back to dealership to see just what was going on. the brakes/rotors were not ever touched, same old pads and rotors still on car. I don't drive much with my car, only put on 2000 miles a year if that. that was it, that is why I just take car back to dealership.

Mom is correct, they  know the cars and what parts can be and can't be used. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

About a year ago my car needed brakes all the way around and new rotors.   The dealership found the problem when they were doing an oil change and tire rotation.  They quoted me very close to $800.00 to do new brakes and rotors. 

Drum brakes are pretty archaeic aren't they?  I didn't think most cars had drum brakes anymore.  I thought most had disc brakes and rotors.

disc and rotors in front..most cars still use drums in the rear

Honored Contributor

"Back in da day," Midas were known as experts in muffler repairs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Automobile REPAIRS

[ Edited ]

As soon as our cars are out of warranty we take them to an independent mechanic; if he can't do whatever is required, he lets us know.  That has happened three times in thirty years!  Our local Toyota dealer has given nothing but grief.  He charged us $100 to tell us our gas cap wasn't screwed on completely; next time I suspected that was the problem I went to O'Reilly s, they diagnosed it and fixed it for free.  Another time I was having warranty work at Toyota they told me I needed new tires I said thanx, I'll buy them at Costco.  Guy had the nerve to look me in the eye and say "Costco sells tires that are seconds".

Valued Contributor

Midas ripped me off 35 years ago.  I was a single woman---car dealerships and car repairmen equate women to idiots.  Well they got me for over $300 for brakes and rotars back then. And here's some irony--the owner and his family would become in-laws by marriage 15 years later.  By that time my BIL had run his several franchises into the ground.  If you can find a reputable mechanic-and there are many-stick with him. 

Super Contributor

My elderly neighbor had her dealership charge $100 to change a lightbulb. She'd tried, she's pretty handy, but couldn't get to it. She went to a place to get an oil change and mentioned it to the guy there. He said they change them for free, and showed her how to do it. From underneath.

Some years ago a sensor went out on my car. My dealership charged $100 to hook it to their computer. Told me which one it was, and that I also needed new brakes and rotors, to the tune of around $800. The sensor was over $200. Some chain parts store wanted about 1/2 the price for the same part. My son got one on the internet, under $25, cost me a pizza to have the work done. And...I didn't need rotors, and the back brakes were fine. Probably only 20k miles on them. The car only has around 26k miles, and this was some years back.

Esteemed Contributor

You may be right about the rotors from your "self-diagnosis", but then again you might not be - or the rotors might be just part of the problem. I agree with the others who said that your dealer or a good independent mechanic may be a better choice. I rely on my dealer and get several good deals each time I go there, including credits toward future work and a free oil change after 4 oil changes. They know our vehicles, they're well-trained and they have specific parts available that the manufacturer recommends. There's a lot to be said for that! It's not always about getting the cheapest deal!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Everytime I step on brakes, my steering wheel vibrates.  I did a search online and it could be the rotors.  I called the dealer and they quoted me $324 w/labor and then I called Midas and they told me $200 w/labor plus they have coupons $20 off $200.  Why is it that the dealers are always more expensive than anyone else?   I will be

going to Midas tomorrow.  I like saving money.  How about you?  Any auto repair price stories?    HeartCat Happy

I had the vibration with my 14 year old Camry.  I thought it was the tires which I realized were still the originals (I bought the car used), so I bought new tires at Costco.  I had the car aligned and that didn't help.

It ended up that they had to replace the ball joints and the tie rod in front.  However, I will say after all that, the car still did feel right or safe at 60 mph so I took side roads everywhere I could until I found the new car I wanted.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Automobile REPAIRS

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1

I would never trust Midas - google them - lots of bad reviews.

It could also be something simple. I have a Honda - and have been taking my Hondas to my local Honda dealer for 17 yrs - they're very honest and their prices are very fair. They also give a 1 year warranty -- and I get a senior discount. I always know my car is in good hands. Always ask for a discount -- my Honda dealer also sends out coupons --- u could check on-line to see if ur dealership has coupons.

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago, I had taken my car to MIdas because it sounded like the muffler fell off.  Instead it was a hole in a pipe underneath the car which was replaced.  They have a very good business at this Midas and return customers.  I don't trust a lot of places but I trust this one.  Yes, there are a lot of nightmare stories out there about auto repair.  

kindness is strength