Honored Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

Rates are going up because of ALL the uninsured drivers (who could care less if they hurt or kill somebody) and ALL the people driving around without a license. I say take their cars away! Impound and sell to pay for the damage they do.

@silkyk

Especially true in Texas where there are so many uninsured drivers....and they find a way to get around tougher state laws too....

So if they're at fault but since they don't have insurance the claim has to be paid out of our (driver with insurance), uninsured motorist coverage, and our rates go up because the sheer number of these claims.......premiums aren't enough to cover them.  And even if the insurance company subrogates against the uninsured driver, the uninsured driver then declares bankruptcy hides behind bankruptcy laws...so they get away with it.....A friend of mine went through all this.

And weather does play a big part too not just tornadoes and hurricanes.  Our area had a real bad hail storm baseball size...repair companies were backlogged some people had to wait a year and a half for repairs.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have to echo @Abrowneyegirl and keeping in mind customer service. 

I have been with State Farm and only SF my entire life longer than the kid who ran a stop sign and hit me has been alive.  I can not tell you how they jerked me around last year. 

I am the one who had to get on the phone with the kid and make him answer the insurance calls and do their jobs for them.  SF didn't care since both of us were customers and the longer he didn't respond the longer they didn't have to pay me.  That didn't work for me.

If I thought an insurance commission would actually care and hand out a consequence, I'd have gone there as my second phone call. 

This is a no vote for SF by the way and how sad is that for a 20 plus year customer to say about them?  

I pay well over $1000 for one economy car with a stellar credit report and no accidents charged on my personal record.  You're doing well!    

@Laura14

My sister has SF and she had a hail claim, she had to do all the leg work, her agent did nothing.  My brother experienced the same thing, his son was in an accident involving a deer....all the agent did was hand him the phone and gave him a number to call...when the Adjustor came out he said he didnt see any damage, my brother pointed out the bumper hanging off the car and a big dent.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I have not been impressed.  The first time someone hit me, they could not have been nicer. No issues at all.  My local agent very nice. 

This second time, I had zero time for them and finally told them so. 

When their other driver wouldn't call them back to help "investigate" the accident (he had a stop sign, I did not, he got a ticket, I did not, what exactly are we investigating here again?), I was so over it. 

They kept telling me to just put it on my insurance if I wanted my car fixed.  How about we put in on your insurance instead, I asked.  Would you do that in my case?  Crickets. 

I finally did their job for them and picked up the phone and called the other driver myself.  "Call them back now or I am going to see you both in court."  

He called.  They investigated.  Literally less than 30 seconds later after getting off the phone with me for my side of it, they called me back and said he was 100% liable.  No kidding!  

If I could find a cheaper carrier, I'd be gone!  Until then, I am the worst advertiser they ever created on their behalf and I am happy to take on the job.  

I feel your family's pain.  Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt,

Did the estimator say "where is the damage?" or "show me the damage." ?

That is common practice.  The customer is asked to show the estimator what damage is being claimed from  the accident that has been reported.   Sometimes cars have damage from unreported, prior accidents. The estimator wants to know exactly what damage the customer feels is from this accident.

Not surprisingly, people sometimes want to include all the rings and dents on their car onto one incident.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1..$1,125.00 is what we pay for 2 vehicles.

I posted yesterday what I thought we paid but when looking over last year's invoice I discovered I mis reported what we paid...included in that number is a million dollar umbrella policy. We are also in the midwest.

We have  a $250.00 dedudctible

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt  I have not been impressed.  The first time someone hit me, they could not have been nicer. No issues at all.  My local agent very nice. 

This second time, I had zero time for them and finally told them so. 

When their other driver wouldn't call them back to help "investigate" the accident (he had a stop sign, I did not, he got a ticket, I did not, what exactly are we investigating here again?), I was so over it. 

They kept telling me to just put it on my insurance if I wanted my car fixed.  How about we put in on your insurance instead, I asked.  Would you do that in my case?  Crickets. 

I finally did their job for them and picked up the phone and called the other driver myself.  "Call them back now or I am going to see you both in court."  

He called.  They investigated.  Literally less than 30 seconds later after getting off the phone with me for my side of it, they called me back and said he was 100% liable.  No kidding!  

If I could find a cheaper carrier, I'd be gone!  Until then, I am the worst advertiser they ever created on their behalf and I am happy to take on the job.  

I feel your family's pain.  Heart

@Laura14

They are just lazy and dont want to do their job!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My agent told me that my rates went up because of a combination of things that ave occurred in my region over the past year...really bad hail storms, population explosion and cost of high-tech repairs in newer cars. He said it's not just one thing but all these things combined.

I live in Colorado and I believe our insurance rates have also been affected by the legalization of pot. Some people don't think so, but many do.

I've been driving cars for 46 years and I have never been in an accident when I was at the wheel....perfect record.

ETA- Just heard on our local news that a recent study found over 50% of mmj users reported driving while high...that's just the mmj users and does not include recreational pot which means there are a lot more high driving going on than what is reported. SMH

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Spurt,

Did the estimator say "where is the damage?" or "show me the damage." ?

That is common practice.  The customer is asked to show the estimator what damage is being claimed from  the accident that has been reported.   Sometimes cars have damage from unreported, prior accidents. The estimator wants to know exactly what damage the customer feels is from this accident.

Not surprisingly, people sometimes want to include all the rings and dents on their car onto one incident.

@Ms tyrion2

He said "I see no damage".....and my brother pointed it out he sad, "OH I see it now".....This was a 2 yr old car no prior damage or accidents pristine condition.....His son was home from college break and drove the car a short distance to a friend's house....

Valued Contributor

My insurance renewal arrived yesterday, $1938 for 2 cars 2013 and 2018 both SUVs.  That amount is for 6 months which brings my yearly total to just under $4000.  Needless to say I have spent most of today on the phone requesting quotes.  Been with Hanover for  18 years.  Told me that could not reduce it.  Quoted Travelers at $1415.   Anyone have any reviews or opinions on Travelers?  Both husband and I are in late 70s so I know age is a factor.  Live in a Chicago suburb.  Thanks for any opinions.

Contributor

Hi, Terrywu.

I live in Henderson NV (Las Vegas area) and we’ve had Travelers for years. Never had to file a claim, thank goodness.

The rate you were quoted is a savings for you but it is close to what we paid last year for a 2015 Toyota suv and a 2005 Corolla with a $1000 deductible. We think it is outrageous as we are 71 and 70 and do not drive much.

The rates have been increasing every year and we can’t find any other company that is competitive due to the high rate of drunk drivers here and now, recreational marijuana. My big fear is changing companies to save a few bucks now but facing increases every term anyway. I don’t want to make a second career out of continuously researching insurance companies so we’ve stayed with Travelers, but I might give it another shot in a few months and see how it goes.

Good luck to you.