Esteemed Contributor

I have bars minimum coverage, what is required by law.  My car is 22 years old.  I am elderly and live in calif.   It,s because of my age, the age of my car and all the illegal drivers. I have never had accident or tickets.  

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I have bars minimum coverage, what is required by law.  My car is 22 years old.  I am elderly and live in calif.   It,s because of my age, the age of my car and all the illegal drivers. I have never had accident or tickets.  

@qvcaddition......my car is 22 years old also, and I too am elderly....but reside in Missouri.  My policy is the bare minimum too.  We all are paying for the uninsured.  And that isn't right.  Nothing we can do about it.  

The only time now I drive it is when I have a doctor's appointment.  Too much effort to get out to my car and when I arrive at where I need to be, then the return home.  Am on a walker.  

Respected Contributor

Rates are going up because of ALL the uninsured drivers (who could care less if they hurt or kill somebody) and ALL the people driving around without a license. I say take their cars away! Impound and sell to pay for the damage they do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@jannabelle1

if your wanting low affordable car insurance don't move to FL!  It was shocking how expensive not only home but car insurance is😯

We are both retired, 69 and 63 (soon) drive a 2017 Honda Accord LX, no tickets, no accidents.  Our yearly premium is $1677.36 ($139.78 a month).  We shopped all available insurance companies avail in FL -- another obstacle very few insure in FL.

I inquired why so high -- in FL being a transient state, many uninsured drivers, older drivers (🙄), claims, etc. is the answer I was given by AAA who did comparisons for us.  Big deal $100/yr savings.  Plus, they only do 6 month policy here then review before renewal as you keep your fingers crossed they "keep" you!

Let me say I can't imagine why or who decides in FL to issue drivers license (10 years here) to people who clearly should not at their age be driving.  Case in point, a lady I know asked me to take her for her DL renewal next week she's 92 years old -they only give eye test - no way -- she can barely walk without assistance but she still drives!  Yikes!!!! 

@homedecor1 I think it’s @ShowMe who uses a walker. Would you deprive her of driving?

Walking and driving are different activities. 

I do think along with the eye test a written test should be given periodically.   

ETA  Credit score affects rates. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda......I would certainly hope just because I use a walker that I would not be able to be insured.  My mind is still good, and my right leg and foot work very well.  The walker is to keep me from falling.....  Still being 78 is not all that old.  I do tell my body that daily....LOL.  

My sister is now 81, and lives down in Texas.  She said her driver's license is coming due, and apparently she is only being able to renew it for 2 years now.  She doesn't understand why just 2 years....  The first thing I told her is that according to the state she is getting old, and that is the way it is.  Believe they will have her take a driver's course or something like that for the next renewal in 2 years.  She's not happy about getting up there in years.  We both have USAA, which is headquartered down where she lives (not far from her home)..... 

And yes, credit reports can affect your premiums.  No matter who your carrier is.  If you're a risk on a credit report, they consider you a risk to be insured, and therefore you pay for that through your premiums.  Credit reports can also keep you from getting a good paying job.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@froggy wrote:

Here's another vote for USAA if you qualify. Their rates are competitive and customer service is unparalleled.

We have Auto Owners....I did look in USAA it was much higher than what we are currently paying..price difference may be what part of the country we live in.

We pay $1800.00 for two cars one is a 2014 SUV the other is a 2017 Sedan.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to echo @Abrowneyegirl and keeping in mind customer service. 

I have been with State Farm and only SF my entire life longer than the kid who ran a stop sign and hit me has been alive.  I can not tell you how they jerked me around last year. 

I am the one who had to get on the phone with the kid and make him answer the insurance calls and do their jobs for them.  SF didn't care since both of us were customers and the longer he didn't respond the longer they didn't have to pay me.  That didn't work for me.

If I thought an insurance commission would actually care and hand out a consequence, I'd have gone there as my second phone call. 

This is a no vote for SF by the way and how sad is that for a 20 plus year customer to say about them?  

I pay well over $1000 for one economy car with a stellar credit report and no accidents charged on my personal record.  You're doing well!    

Respected Contributor

My car insurance rate went up to $1200 for 2019. I was buying direct from the company. For two years in a row they raised my rate over $100 each renewal.  Last year it was there are so many accidents we all have to pay.  This time around they gave me the same reason as last year plus Tornados, floods, hurricanes. We all need to help pay for these things. along with accidents.  he said.  I have no blemishes on my driving record.

i called a local agent who shopped around for me.  He got my rate down to $900.  That is still too high but i have a note so need full coverage.  anyway he did say our state has the highest number of PI Attorneys per capita than any other state. and there are multipe accidents everywhere. The big thing now is drivers plowing into homes and businesses because they lost consciousness!

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe

@ShowMe wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@qvcaddition......my car is 22 years old also, and I too am elderly....but reside in Missouri.  My policy is the bare minimum too.  We all are paying for the uninsured.  And that isn't right.  Nothing we can do about it.  

The only time now I drive it is when I have a doctor's appointment.  Too much effort to get out to my car and when I arrive at where I need to be, then the return home.  Am on a walker.  

I drive 2000 or less in a six month period.  The reason I know is because, SF Supposedly gives a discount, yea, for low milage.  I have the MATURE DRIVER CERTIFICATE, NOT MUCH OF A DISCOUNT.  This is Cal. Land of everything free except for it,s citizens.  I know personally from working in an ER.  Our hospital went bankrupt.

Respected Contributor

@patbz

Actually, our agent told us that crime and uninsured motorists are the 2 big factors.  I asked because insurance for our one car jumped from $900  a year to 1500 when we moved from PA to NM Sept 1.   Same coverage, same company.   UGH