Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia, thanks....I agree. I should check out the rates with the higher deductible. It might make a bigger difference.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1

if your wanting low affordable car insurance don't move to FL!  It was shocking how expensive not only home but car insurance is😯

We are both retired, 69 and 63 (soon) drive a 2017 Honda Accord LX, no tickets, no accidents.  Our yearly premium is $1677.36 ($139.78 a month).  We shopped all available insurance companies avail in FL -- another obstacle very few insure in FL.

I inquired why so high -- in FL being a transient state, many uninsured drivers, older drivers (🙄), claims, etc. is the answer I was given by AAA who did comparisons for us.  Big deal $100/yr savings.  Plus, they only do 6 month policy here then review before renewal as you keep your fingers crossed they "keep" you!

Let me say I can't imagine why or who decides in FL to issue drivers license (10 years here) to people who clearly should not at their age be driving.  Case in point, a lady I know asked me to take her for her DL renewal next week she's 92 years old -they only give eye test - no way -- she can barely walk without assistance but she still drives!  Yikes!!!! 

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@jannabelle1   If I understand correctly, your premium is $1,000 a year for 2 cars.  That sounds pretty reasonable to me but I live in the northeast where insurance is high.

I would see how much the policy would be with a $1,000 deductible.

I agree $1000 for 2 cars is great, a deductable with less than $1000 is NEVER a good idea unless you like making the insurance companies rich.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1  Here is an interesting article regarding auto insurance and if you should continue to have collision and comprehensive if your car's value isn't very high and your car is paid for outright.  

Personally, every time my renewal is up, I call around just to make sure that I'm getting the best deal.  You might want to increase your deductibles and make sure they have the mileage driven each year correct.  It might make a difference and also if you have towing coverage from another company, make sure you aren't paying for it on your insurance as well.   

My policy went up this year too, with no accidents, claims, or tickets - I think they end up paying out for others claims (just think all the storms and damaged vehicles last year) and just pass the cost on to the current customers.

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/ask-stacy-should-i-drop-my-comprehensive-and-collision-car-insurance-...

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1, I can't imagine granting a 10-year drivers license. There is a huge difference in driving capabilities in the upper years, but at 90, those capabilties are pretty much gone!

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Here's another vote for USAA if you qualify. Their rates are competitive and customer service is unparalleled.

We have USAA and yes the $$$ is great. However when a car left me stranded at night on the side of the road due to an electrical problem I found they had the WORST customer service of any insurance company I ever worked with in my entire life. 

I only thank heavens that I was not in an accident where I or someone in the car was injured. 

Thankfully I had an hour to sit stranded in the middle of no where late at night to deal with an insurance company to set up towing!  

Ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance

[ Edited ]

Another vote for USAA.  I've been with them for 40 years, based on my Dad's service as a Navy Officer.  Neither DH nor I were in the service (did our careers as Civil Service DoD employees).  Based on my Dad's service, both my Sons as well as the married Son's wife and her 3 children also are insured by USAA.  Over the years DH and I have had a couple of minor auto claims but also 3 flood claims totalling $70,000.  Great company, can't say enough good about them.

Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance

[ Edited ]

I went through the exact same thing.  Every six months, my rates went up even with a good driving record, no accidents/no claims, no tickets, etc.  I had swtiched to Geico (good commercials but horrible insurance carrier) after Allstate kept raising my rates as well.  I got the same sad excuse from both insurers that it was due to my zip code.  I live in the burbs of the city and due to the rise in auto theft, break-ins and tire stealing, my rates were going up.  So basically, you pay for whatever goes on in the area you live.  And with the opioid problem, I found out that alot of break-ins have risen for even pocket change in people's cup holders!  I was paying $2,000 a year for one car,  I switched yet again and have much better rates with Erie and so far have been very happy with them.     

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@ShowMe, thanks for your comments. I'm in Missour also (St. Charles). We're both 70 but I hadn't even considered our age perhaps being a factor. That's a question I'll ask when I call our agent, although I'm sure age will be something he would want to avoid. I'll definitely be calling USAA and see what they can offer us.

@jannabelle1.....is your DH a veteran?  I do believe in order to get USAA either you or your spouse, or parent had to be a veteran to get insurance through them.  If you can't get the USAA, you might check on GEICO.....understand they are for military folks too.  

Yes, I remember you live in St. Charles area.  Please let me know what you find out.  

Honored Contributor

Seems like quite a few of us on here have USAA and most are pleased with them.  I'm staying with them at this point in my life.