Esteemed Contributor

I am so thankful that this child had a decent seat companion!!!!  God must have been watching over this child!!!!

I have an autistic grandson.  There is no way he could have traveled alone!  In fact, you can't take your eyes off him!!!!!  Every autistic person is completely different.

The gentleman seated next to the child was put there for a reason.  Happy that the young boy had a safe and uneventful trip.

Trusted Contributor

There is a HUGE difference between a 12-13 year old traveling alone and an autistic (or not) 7 year old. I was thinking about this last night. What if he had to go to the bathroom - is a stranger going to take him? Maybe the flight attendant, but if it in the middle of meals and the aisle is blocked. What about just take-offs and landings, which can be scary for well-traveled adults, let alone a very young child. I still think this is a terrible practice and I am still horrified at this story.So glad it turned out OK, and I am still hoping it is not true. It doesn't matter if newpapers or news stations cover it or not - they have all been duped many times.

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter is eight years old. She has flown many times with our family. Although she is very confident, observant and loves to fly, her parents nor I would ever even consider  putting her on a plane alone. Having a flight attendant "assigned" to supervise or "take care of" a seven year old child traveling alone is asking for trouble in the least and disasterous at worst. 

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, it was irresponsible to send this 7 y/o (autistic or not) alone on a flight. To assume a stranger on the plane would be able to take responsibility for this child is beyond my comprehension.

I have a son with disabilites, and there is no way on this earth he would fly solo.

Parents should have made better arrangements.

Frequent Contributor

Fortunate it turned out well. I too was concerned about the child. Not sure it was a good idea to send him this way. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Autistic Boy's Flight

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

I read the story. Personally, I think it was irresponsible and beyond the pale to 1) send a 7 year old child on a flight  alone with the additional concern of a medical condition and 2) expect other people to care for your child.

My child, my responsibility. End of discussion.

This why I think this story is fishy. ( it doesn't matter if there is a news story)