Honored Contributor

I don't remember where I saw this story, but there was this boy with Autism taking a flight to visit his father. His mother really didn't know how he would fare, she wrote a note for her son to give to the person he would sit next to. In the note she stated her son had Autism and probably would ask them if they were there yet several times, she enclosed  $10 and hoped they would be kind to her son. The man he was seated next to took a selfie of himself and the boy, sent it to the mother. He said he did ask several times if they were there yet, but it was okay and they had a good time. The man donated the $10 to an Autism charity. This made me feel so good, there are kind , decent people, we always hear about the bad, it was nice to see a happy story. God bless that man and the boy.

Respected Contributor

I saw it on the news yesterday also. I was so happy that this young child had someone sitting next to him that cared enough to take up with him.  That was a heart warming story.

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

I saw it on the news yesterday also. I was so happy that this young child had someone sitting next to him that cared enough to take up with him.  That was a heart warming story.

The kid was really lucky to have sat next to such a kind hearted soul, I don't know how old a man he is, but I bet he has children of his own.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  Thanks for posting that story.  It was nice.

I think there are way, way more nice people in this world than there are mean and hateful people.

I've always believed if you approach someone with a smile, most of the time they'll smile back.

The boy is also lucky because he has an amazing mom who obviously loves him very much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Autistic Boy's Flight

[ Edited ]

I read the story. Personally, I think it was irresponsible and beyond the pale to 1) send a 7 year old child on a flight  alone with the additional concern of a medical condition and 2) expect other people to care for your child.

My child, my responsibility. End of discussion.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

2) expect other people to care for your child.

For $10 no less.

"enclosed $10 and hoped they would be kind to her son."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor
I thought airlines have a rule that if child is under age
they must be accompanied by parent or guardian?
Respected Contributor

I think this is more of a testament to the kindness of strangers that a judgemnt of the mother. Unless you have walked a mile in her shoes don't judge. Thank God for this kind  and caring man. There are still a few kind people left in this sometimes cruel world. 

Respected Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I thought airlines have a rule that if child is under age
they must be accompanied by parent or guardian?

They can fly as "unaccompanied minors." The rules vary by airline, I think.

As an aside, I saw the following board in the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on my last time through. I thought it was so great that I took a photo of it:

IMG_1654.JPG

Respected Contributor
Yes this boy was lucky and so was the mother. Their are a lot of good people out there. Seven years old is to young to be unacompanied in my opinion.