Frequent Contributor

Asking for Prayers...So done with the corporate world!

I am 64 and have worked in offices since I was 18 years old. I need to stick it out two more years until I can get my full Social Security. It is getting tougher by the day in this insane corporate world. They think they have saved some money by cutting down from two admins to one in our department. I am the one left with the absolutely ridiculous workload. My boss is driving me crazy every single minute of every day. If you have any spare moments, can you pray that something good opens up for me so I can have some peace of mind for the next two years. I just want to do a good job and go home for goodness sake.

Thanks so much to everyone on these boards who gives their love and prayers to others in need.

Honored Contributor

Re: Asking for Prayers...So done with the corporate world!

Why wait until you can draw full SS? I took mine at age 62 and I figured at that time it would be 13 years to make up the amount of money I was getting at age 62. I am now 13 years older, 75, so it is only now that I might have been getting more in SS.

There was/is no guarantee how long a person is going to live and that is the way I felt at age 62 and that is the way I feel now at age 75. I worked with many men that didn't retire until they had "X number of years service with the company". Many of them unfortunately died a year or 2 after they retired. So much for their waiting to make more in their pension and SS payments.

I retired at age 52 with 33 years with the same company and have enjoyed almost all of my retirement, much of which after age 62 has been spent in the hospital. Were I to have it to do over again I would do it exactly the same way I did in 1991. I didn't like my job but nobody was or is able to "get to me" mentally, boss or otherwise.

The difference in SS, if you live long enough, ain't worth dying before you time if this job is as bad as you say it is for you. I think you need to step and do what is best for you right now. Nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow so why suffer until "X" time when you might not live that long?

Retire now and take your, what 48 years of service with the "office company pension" and sign up for your SS. Why wait for something that might never be?

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Hkynut...thanks for your advice, but it isn't as simple as it seems. I don't mind working for a few years longer, and I am happy to work hard, but geez, can it not be so difficult? I am a cancer survivor so I know how precious each day is.

Respected Contributor

Prayers going up for you, Sweatea-pie! May the Lord open doors for you very soon.

I sure do love your name... Sweet tea + pie = oh my! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Esteemed Contributor

Make your mental health your priority. It has such an impact on your physical health!

Cutting staff is the only way employers know how to save $. We were replacing 1 of every 2 employees that left. Then 1 for every 3 that left. Right now we are hiring no one.

Take care of yourself. Make sure you eat well, get in a daily walk even if it's just at lunch time. Try to find some companionship other than the complainers at work. Put some flowers on your desk and spritz some perfume on when you freshen up in the ladies room.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if you're aware that you could go ahead and take your Social Security and still work. Yes, you would be taking a slightly reduced benefit, but as John explained in his 1st paragraph above, it would take years to make up the difference if you wait 2 more years until full retirement age.

By taking it now, you might find a part-time job that you would enjoy more for the next two years, and that plus your Social Security could possibly equal or come close to what you make at your full-time job. You are allowed to earn a certain amount each year without having the Social Security benefits you're receiving reduced, and by continuing to work, you will receive additional credit that will then increase your benefit when you do reach your full retirement age.

This can get fairly complicated, but if you're that unhappy, why not make a visit to your local Social Security office and they could explain all your options? I started taking my benefits at 62 and continued working. When I reached my full retirement age, they recalculated the benefit that I was due and increased it a good amount because I had been adding to my earnings during that time. I know how bad it can be when you're so unhappy -- I walked away from a job at age 49 that was paying me more than I could have ever imagined earning - but the stress was just too much. I've never regretted it for a minute.

If you talk to your Social Security office and decide to stay where you are, you've lost nothing but a little bit of your time. But if you know for sure what your options are, it could open up so many other possibilities for you! I wish you luck.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

My DH was going nuts with his company being bought and sold and sold again - new bosses with new demands every 6 months or so. He was very unhappy. He decided to take his retirement at age 64 - 5 years ago. Before he did he went to our SS office and found out how much he would lose monthly - he actually found at that age it was 6% and he decided that was not significant enough to continue. I do understand how you feel. Everyone knows when the time is right for them to retire. I hope you can get out a little early.

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming OP has to wait until she's at least 65 and eligible for Medicare. Yeah, sure; taking a reduced SSA benefit is possible but you still don't get Medicare until you are 65. OP, you are not alone. I think those of us who are in our mid 50's plus assumed that we could retire at 62 because that's what our parents did. That's just not feasible for many people now, not in the new reality. I can only give you the advice that I give friends who are in your exact situation. Stay calm, don't stress yourself out. Just do your job to best of your ability and if you can't get everything done. So be it. Remember, your managers and directors know which departments are understaffed and which employees are over worked. They know what can be done in an 8 hour day. To be honest, at 64, nothing is going to "open up" for you. And in this new reality, companies are try to get the job done with as few employees as possible. The pressure is on. You have take care of yourself. Use your vacation days, take a meditation class, take a yoga class, eat well, get enough sleep. Take care of yourself. Oh....and get one of those two year calendars and mark off the days until retirement. It will be here sooner than your think.

Honored Contributor

I took my SS at 62, and stopped working at 57, and I have never regretted it! I love not being tied down to a "job" and having to deal with "office politics"! I feel so sorry for my friends that are my age that because of divorce or widowed having to still work!

I'd say retire now or at least start drawing your SS, we never know how much longer we have in life, it is too short and enjoy it now!

Honored Contributor

Medical insurance is extremely expensive. (Well, it used to be. Don't know about the present rates.) I would look into the monthly premiums/rates to make sure that I would be able to afford it. If they are reasonably priced, then I just might want to take my SS a bit earlier. Knowing myself, though, I'd probably keep my job for two more years, as long as it wasn't affecting my health and well being.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).