Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I  would have thought a drug overdose would be what she would choose... shooting yourself is so awful.. painful... can not imagine the state of sadness and desperation  she must have been in.... 

It could be that she tried to overdose, but because it wasn't immediate she choose to shoot herself.

The saddest part of it all is, she knew her daughter was there and would most likely be the one to find her.

That gives me the chills.

@Lucky Charm   I personally feel mostly anger at those who choose to kill themselves... It is a very selfish choice when you have close family like she did that have to clean up the mess....

@SeaMaiden Your comment shows your ignorance on the subject. I have suffered from depression most of my life. My Dr say's mine is very difficult to treat. I attempted to take my life at 17 year's old. I would not wish mental illness on my worst emeny. I felt hopeless and unloved by my parent's and was in such a dark place that I could not take it anymore. My parents did not beleive in med's. I just wanted to end the mental anguish and stop the pain I was in. It was not until I was 30 years old that I decided to seek help. I went through h*ll looking for the right medication to help and finally found a Dr that put me on meds for depression and anxiety which has help alot, but there are still time's in my life that dark thought's enter my mind. There are time's the depression will reappear and I struggle daily until it passe's. People with depression DON'T want to die, they want the unrelenting pain to go away. My heart breaks when I read of anybody who takes their own life, I just wish I could have talked to them and say: just hang on, it will get better." My heart breaks for their family too, left with unanswered question's. Don't judge people until you have walked a mile in their shoe's, it makes you look ignorant, unkind and a person unable to feel for what another human is feeling.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful tribute to Naomi tonight on CMT.   Loved every minute of it.

Loved the stories about the woman she was.  I would have loved to have been a stranger she met... it would have been inspiring to talk to her.

RIP Naomi!

Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back 

Yes, it was a wonderful tribute.  Nobody can sing like Wynona!  She was a trooper for singing while the pain is so fresh.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Love4cats - I was just watching the tribute to Naomi and mentioned to my DH about some of the comments here and how it made me angry that people could be so callous about someone's reasons for committing suicide.

My nephew's adult son died by suicide and at the memorial service my nephew said that he wished his son could've seen how many people loved him.  But it's not about that, is it?

Those who reach the stage where suicide is preferable to living, are in so much pain and darkness that there is no thought of anything else.  And those left behind need to know the blame is not theirs; often there is nothing anyone could've said or done to get through.  People in that much pain are also very good at hiding it.

It's not selfish and it's heartless for anyone to say it is.  (((hugs))) to you.  Be well.

Valued Contributor
@Love4cats I wish you the best of good health, happiness, peace and love in your life.
Valued Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Love4cats - I was just watching the tribute to Naomi and mentioned to my DH about some of the comments here and how it made me angry that people could be so callous about someone's reasons for committing suicide.

My nephew's adult son died by suicide and at the memorial service my nephew said that he wished his son could've seen how many people loved him.  But it's not about that, is it?

Those who reach the stage where suicide is preferable to living, are in so much pain and darkness that there is no thought of anything else.  And those left behind need to know the blame is not theirs; often there is nothing anyone could've said or done to get through.  People in that much pain are also very good at hiding it.

It's not selfish and it's heartless for anyone to say it is.  (((hugs))) to you.  Be well.

@Venezia Thank you for the kind word's, I wish more people understood the disease of depression. And you are right, it's not about how many people love someone. It is really all about the disease and how it destroy's you little by little until one can't take it anymore and just want's to stop the pain of living with it, not knowing when one will go from feeling good and then within a matter of hour's feeling oneself descending into such a dark, torturous abyss of darkness. And you are right, those left behind need to know that there is nothing they could have said or done to help their loved one, the blame is not their's or the who took such a drastic measure to stop the pain. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The reason why Ashley did this interview was because the information is going to come out and the family wanted to be the ones to put it out there and not have this story be a part of a rumor mill.  Even on this thread people are gossiping.

Ashley didn't say anything about her mom trying to overdose and it not working.  She said her mom used a weapon.  She used a firearm.  

It's sad to me that she needed to come out with this so soon after her mother's passing, knowing people would just gossip about it all.  It's also sad to me that people feel such despair that they feel the only way out is to end their lives.  This country has got to do better about mental health assistance.

@Lipstickdiva @So true, we do have to do better when I comes to mental illness. I don't know how or when but something has to be done and hopefully the death of a famous person will bring attention to it.

Respected Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I  would have thought a drug overdose would be what she would choose... shooting yourself is so awful.. painful... can not imagine the state of sadness and desperation  she must have been in.... 

It could be that she tried to overdose, but because it wasn't immediate she choose to shoot herself.

The saddest part of it all is, she knew her daughter was there and would most likely be the one to find her.

@Lucky Charm   I personally feel mostly anger at those who choose to kill themselves... It is a very selfish choice when you have close family like she did that have to clean up the mess....

@SeaMaiden Your comment shows your ignorance on the subject. I have suffered from depression most of my life. My Dr say's mine is very difficult to treat. I attempted to take my life at 17 year's old. I would not wish mental illness on my worst emeny. I felt hopeless and unloved by my parent's and was in such a dark place that I could not take it anymore. My parents did not beleive in med's. I just wanted to end the mental anguish and stop the pain I was in. It was not until I was 30 years old that I decided to seek help. I went through h*ll looking for the right medication to help and finally found a Dr that put me on meds for depression and anxiety which has help alot, but there are still time's in my life that dark thought's enter my mind. There are time's the depression will reappear and I struggle daily until it passe's. People with depression DON'T want to die, they want the unrelenting pain to go away. My heart breaks when I read of anybody who takes their own life, I just wish I could have talked to them and say: just hang on, it will get better." My heart breaks for their family too, left with unanswered question's. Don't judge people until you have walked a mile in their shoe's, it makes you look ignorant, unkind and a person unable to feel for what another human is feeling.

@Love4cats @My 26 year old suffers from depression that does not respond to meds. Today we are going into our sixth week of a dark depression. So many people have suggested her getting a job and she would be better. I can not make them understand that is not how it works. Until you live with or have depression you can not truly appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love4cats and all dealing with depression:  I applaud you for your honesty and willingness to share your journey with our community.  I can only hope you have served to enlighten others who are open to learning about this devastating illness.

I have known two people who have lost their lives to this disease.  People should understand this is not to be condemned as selfishness or weakness - it is a disease that no one wants.  I hope and pray that everyone seeking treatment can find a therapist who can offer medications and coping skills.

You are important here.  You are valued here.  Please know that we are here for you.  You are very brave to open up, surely knowing there is still much ignorance about your condition.  All my best wishes and a virtual hug to all!

Valued Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Love4cats @My 26 year old suffers from depression that does not respond to meds. Today we are going into our sixth week of a dark depression. So many people have suggested her getting a job and she would be better. I can not make them understand that is not how it works. Until you live with or have depression you can not truly appreciate it.

@panda1234 I am so sorry your daughter is struggling with this horrible, debilitating illness. People don't understand what your daughter is going through, no one can unless they have gone through it. They don't understand that nothing helps, and they don't understand that you can't work, you become paralyed, and can't even do the normal daily activity's like bathing or chore's around the house. There are time's when you are having a terrible episode that your mind does not stop torturing you,  and it does not just affect your thought's, it affect's your whole body, This is not an illness that people can "see", it's not like a broken leg or arm or a cold or flu. It is invisible to other people and it's easy for them to say: just get a job or get out and take a walk or just snap out of it.  When I am going through a low my sister can see that I am not doing well, as much as I try to act ok, she can see it in face face and hear it in my voice. The person who suffer's from this illness can feel a low coming on and there is nothing they can do to stop it, they are helpless to control what there mind and body is going to inflict on them, again and again and again, then one day you wake up in the morning and the torture is over, but you know at some point the monster will return and destroy your peace and happiness again. It is a cruel illness and most people just can't understand it. My heart hurt's for your daughter and for you having to see her going through this and being unable to help her. Just love her and be there for her.