Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

I do not concider myself a horder.  I have gotten used to having plenty of stock on hand. We are a military family and sometime things are tight.  As far as TP goes, according to the news the people who make TP are running out of the tree bark used to make it.  When that happens, the price will skyrocket.  So when I go to the store I pick up a package.

Respected Contributor

Yes!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, I always keep a good supply of necessities!  

Trusted Contributor

After all of this I plan to always have extras of essential items on hand.  My home has a lots of storage space so I may as well keep the stuff on hand....just in case!

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

After all of this I plan to always have extras of essential items on hand.  My home has a lots of storage space so I may as well keep the stuff on hand....just in case!

@BunSnoop  It is a good habit that comes in handy when least expected.....

Honored Contributor

No.  I am not contributing to the problem.

I'm also not listening to those claiming a second wave.  Will it happen?  Maybe it will.  Will it be worse if it does happen?  Maybe it will.

They don't know and we don't know.  No one knows.  All I do know is our first wave data in Ohio wasn't nearly as bad as they said it was going to be so people are losing faith in these numbers presented.    

Honored Contributor

@Gourmet wrote:

I do not concider myself a horder.  I have gotten used to having plenty of stock on hand. We are a military family and sometime things are tight.  As far as TP goes, according to the news the people who make TP are running out of the tree bark used to make it.  When that happens, the price will skyrocket.  So when I go to the store I pick up a package.

@Gourmet -shortage of tree bark.  Wonderful.....

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Several weeks ago I watched the Unilever CEO being interviewed.  

One of the questions asked was about the various shortages and his opinion of why that was.  He replied that from their company viewpoint it appeared to be largely an American phenomenon.  The anchor was rather shocked and asked why that might be.  He said they thought it was because of the American lifestyle, in which many of our population have more room for storage and a greater acceptance of debt than much of the rest of the world.

Huh! I know for a fact that this was not just an American phenomenon. Back when COVID-19 was still considered a Chinese problem, my son’s colleague in Hong Kong contacted him and asked him to send toilet paper, cleaning supplies, wet wipes, etc. because it was impossible to find there. He paid extremely high Fed Ex shipping charges to get this stuff sent from Chicago to Hong Kong because they were desperate at that point.  So I knew to buy extra toilet paper, etc. when it started to pop up here in the US. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

No.  I am not contributing to the problem.

I'm also not listening to those claiming a second wave.  Will it happen?  Maybe it will.  Will it be worse if it does happen?  Maybe it will.

They don't know and we don't know.  No one knows.  All I do know is our first wave data in Ohio wasn't nearly as bad as they said it was going to be so people are losing faith in these numbers presented.    

I'd love to be able to tune out the warning of the 2nd Wave but my understanding is the only question is when it will occur, somewhere between end of Summer, beginning of Winter.

Regular Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I wish I had people's money that are able to do this. Makes me so mad I could***********.

Just now getting back to normal and people will start another panic, here we go again.......... Wish they would keep mouth shut.

Don't despair. When we were married 48 yrs ago, I had a strict budget for groceries. I watched for sales & bought a little extra that week if i could afford it. SLOWLY I began to build up a reserve of non perishables. It doesn't happen overnight. I know times are difficult right now so just go with the flow. If you can afford a little "extra" go for it & if not then maybe the next time. Be frugal & find ways to "use it all up". It also doesn't help when there is no inventory & people are stockpiling. Shows how selffish & "me" oriented people truly are. Same goes for masks! This is a good lesson to learn - plan for the unexpected. I wish you well.