Honored Contributor

Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

The time has come for me to admit that I am. I’d like to think I’m pretty easy going when it comes to food, but in reality, I’m picky. I like very basic foods and really don’t like to venture out of my comfort zone. 

I belong to a Facebook page that’s specific to people in my area. They’re all the time raving about restaurants close by. When I go to the websites and look at the menus, the offerings are just things that I wouldn’t order. Elaborate hamburgers with things on them that I’d never eat, etc.  

We’re meeting family for lunch in a few weeks and they suggested a restaurant, well known in Atlanta, several locations, a little higher end, and I looked at the menu and thought “I’m in trouble here”. I’d end up ordering a blue cheese wedge salad and a baked potato.  There was literally nothing on their extensive menu that I’d be interested in. 

Part of it is because it’s foods I just don’t eat. Also it’s the calories. I can’t imagine the calorie count on some of the stuff. 

Anyway, I’m droning on. I’m a picky eater. Anyone else?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don't consider myself a picky eater. But I also can't stand that term. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I don't consider myself a picky eater. But I also can't stand that term. 

@jaxs mom- hope I didn’t offend. Just used a term that’s been widely used through the years. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Yes, I'm a picky eater.  There is nothing you can do to get me to eat certain foods.  I also won't try things I've never had if they relate back to the foods I don't like.  My father was the same way.  My sister and mother eat everything.  It used to drive my sister nuts when I'd eat at her house.  She knew what I wouldn't eat and would give me attitude about not eating it.

Honored Contributor

I'm really not a picky eater but have developed into one through necessity when I became diabetic over ten years ago.  I'll pull buns off chicken sandwiches to get rid of carbs, I'll pick cheeze off the top of stuff (to reduce some cholesterol) as well as insist on either egg whites or egg beaters (for the same reason)....

I never was this way BD (before diabetes) but am now.....  if I'm at someone's home, I nevere, ever tear apart the food, but I will usually only eat vegs and a little of the lean meat.  When someone asks me directly what I'm doing, I will tell them that I wish I could eat it all but simply can't and why.  My friends and family know why and understand ....

And I love cheeze, real eggs and most everything out there....but when you can't, you just can't..... Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh  Absolutely!  If my mom didn't cook it, I didn't cook it, thereby I didn't eat it.  I know it is sad and I probably miss a lot of good food.  I also never had money to throw away on food that I might not like. 

Maybe growing up here in the south (7th generation) was a reason for me not to venture out. I love southern food!

Thank goodness my children and grandchildren are adventurous.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

Yes, I am a picky eater. I always envied chefs and those folks who can eat...or at least taste most foods without an automatic gag reflex.

Some foods I can't even get beyond the initial strong smell of (plugging my nose does not work either)...like tunafish.

Honored Contributor

Yes and no.

No, in that there aren’t many dishes or foods I refuse to eat, I like most ethnic foods, and variety of cuisines and preparation methods; meat, fish, veggies - like ‘em all.

Yes, in that if any food of any kind is overly-seasoned, it’s ruined for me - and that starts with salt, pepper, garlic or onion salt, “too much” of anything and I’ll be unhappy. Or if someone cooks with seasonings/to a taste I don’t like.

Other than that, no, I’m not picky.  But I do differentiate between “not my ideal meal”, “I can eat it” and “No way.”

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

Raising my hand...I’m guilty of being a picky and unadventurous eater.  There are many restaurants where I have difficulty finding a meal that I want.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in California with parents that exposed me to many ethnic foods.  We ate out often.  There are a few things I don't eat like fast food and I think the Olive Garden is disgusting.  I don't eat much meat.  My current favorite food is Vietnamese followed by Japanese.  I guess I am a little picky about my food.