Super Contributor

Re: Are things back to normal?

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm in Atlanta.  We've been able to eat in restaurants here for months, but fast food restaurants remain drive through only.

I'm vaccinated, but I still wear a mask when out.  I have no plans to stop that.

Fast food places are still drive through only in Kentucky too.  I wonder why that is?  If I can go to IHOP, why is it so much worse to go to McDonalds?  Don't get it.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@lovesrecess    I didn't know Texas had tourists in the summer.  I thought everyone who could, left and went to the mountains in the summer.

@Kachina624 

I dont understand it myself, but some people dont mind the heat....and it also depends on what tourists plan to do---Even the Alamo is air conditioned...😉......  And if they are going to Sea World or Six Flags Amusement Park they do have water parks in them so people can cool off.....Drinking/Eating down at the Riverwalk its shaded and nearness to the River makes it tolerable🍹🐬🎢🎡

There is one Festival that is scheduled for June, The Folk Life Festival (they moved it from August to June---SMH---gee that makes a difference about 2 degrees cooler 😄) And they moved our Fiesta Celebration from April to June as well for this year.....🤠

And some people go to Big Bend National Park in West Texas a desert type atmosphere.... I dont understand going there in the heat of summer, but some do it....I guess in the desert things cool off quickly once the sun goes down....the average is 102 and it cools down to 74---and its a dry heat too.....😎

Then there's the Guadalupe River for tubers and the Texas Coast for tourists too....fishing, swimming etc.....🏄🏊🐟

Some go to H Town or Arlington for a MLB game....Space Center is in H Town..⚾..🚀

Personally, I HIBERNATE in the summer, work from my air conditioned home, go to air conditioned car to air conditioned stores and movie theaters....but generally dont go out into the heat until the sun goes down....

🌞🥵 I come out in October...😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our State is fully open, but here in Bexar County each business sets its own rules about whether masks are required and the majority DO require a mask except while eating....from what Ive seen, most people are compliant.....A limited number of people are able to go to the NBA Spur's basketball games and masks ARE MANDATORY---no exceptions! 

San Antonio has the lowest Covid cases out of all the largest metro areas......We are averaging under 200 new cases a day---yesterday there were only 108 new cases (most of these new cases are the younger people in the 20-29 age bracket)

692,474 people have been fully vaccinated, and 930,358 have gotten their first dose and the total population is 1,952,843

Last day of school here is June 17---so schools are wrapping up their year....mixed virtual and on campus varies by School District....

More people are getting out and about....traffic is reflecting this....

The problem here, as in many places, businesses are having a difficult time finding employees.....

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Around and around in circles we will go until people realize no man is an island.

Yup.  It has been bad enough that it was handled so horribly last year but  it's the ignorance and apathy that is holding us back at this point.

It's an awful shame when people just flat don't care about the common good.   Thankfully, it's not a majority but it's enough to have profoundly negative effect that's not going to end any time soon.   Smiley Sad

If we could just each do our part, things would get better a whole lot faster for everybody.

Respected Contributor

We will not see 'normal' for a long time.....in my opinion. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

Around and around in circles we will go until people realize no man is an island.

Yup.  It has been bad enough that it was handled so horribly last year but  it's the ignorance and apathy that is holding us back at this point.

It's an awful shame when people just flat don't care about the common good.   Thankfully, it's not a majority but it's enough to have profoundly negative effect that's not going to end any time soon.   Smiley Sad

If we could just each do our part, things would get better a whole lot faster for everybody.

@chickenbutt   At this point in time, a segment of the population believes lies are the truth and the truth is lies.

I don't see this changing any time soon.

It is very sad for our country that everyone cannot work together for the common good to move everyone forward.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

In Michigan things are far from normal.

Fast Food restaurants are closed for Dine In - My guess is that this is to prevent any gathering of people.

Restaurants are 50% capacity indoors but need to close by 11 while they can serve outside until 2am.  (does not make sense at all)

Outdoor stadiums I believe are 20% but you still need to wear a mask.  Sorry but this kills me as we have 8000 people ina  30K capacity stadium.  No one is sitting anywhere near each other but a mask must be worn.  Just dumb.

Some but not all kids are in school and they are required to wear masks all day.

Our student athletes ages 13-19 need to be tested for COVID every single week.  This is quite controversial as Coaches, Referees and other students do not need to test.  Really not fair to those kids at all.

Masks are required for everything indoors.  

Personally I'm fully vaccinated and have stopped wearing a mask indoors at many stores.  Never wore one outdoors at all.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Science is science and ever-changing. By the time I hit post the facts might have changed.

I have become more and more in tune to the wording changes our healthcare professionals are using. They have backed off from saying vaccines will prevent Covid, but rather are saying a vaccine will prevent hospitalization and/or death.

Up to date studies show vaccination prevents Covid.Woman Very Happy This is from an article from April 2021. 

"Vaccination with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine reduces infections by 90%, while a single dose confers 80% protection, shows a study led by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that followed essential workers through the worst months of the pandemic.1

The study is one of a small number that employ regular testing to measure vaccines’ impact on infection rates rather than counting cases of symptomatic disease, hospital admission, or death.

The participants were 3950 essential workers, with no documented history of SARS-CoV-2 infection, in eight largely urban US locations. Of these people, 2479 (63%) received both vaccine doses, 477 (12%) received only one dose, and 994 (25%) were unvaccinated.

The study opened on the same day as the US vaccination programme, 14 December 2020, and most of the people vaccinated received their first shot within two weeks. The first week of January 2021 saw the highest rate of daily new infections yet seen in the US, about 250, 000 a day. Researchers stopped collecting data on 13 March.

Participants were taught to swab themselves once a week and also when they felt any symptoms, shipping the swabs on cold packs for laboratory polymerase chain reaction assay. Most infections (58%) were detected by weekly testing, but 87% of detected infections did ultimately produce covid-19 symptoms.

Of 172 infections detected, 161 occurred in the unvaccinated arm of the trial, which saw a rate of 1.38 infections per 1000 person days. Among participants who had received only one shot at least 14 days previously, the rate was 0.19 infections per 1000 person days. Among those who had received a second shot at least 14 days previously, it was 0.04 per 1000 person days"

So getting vaccinated vastly improves your odds of staying safe and healthy. And if you don't get infected, you can't infect anybody else either.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Science is science and ever-changing. By the time I hit post the facts might have changed.

I have become more and more in tune to the wording changes our healthcare professionals are using. They have backed off from saying vaccines will prevent Covid, but rather are saying a vaccine will prevent hospitalization and/or death.

Up to date studies show vaccination prevents Covid.Woman Very Happy This is from an article from April 2021. 

"Vaccination with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine reduces infections by 90%, while a single dose confers 80% protection, shows a study led by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that followed essential workers through the worst months of the pandemic.1

The study is one of a small number that employ regular testing to measure vaccines’ impact on infection rates rather than counting cases of symptomatic disease, hospital admission, or death.

The participants were 3950 essential workers, with no documented history of SARS-CoV-2 infection, in eight largely urban US locations. Of these people, 2479 (63%) received both vaccine doses, 477 (12%) received only one dose, and 994 (25%) were unvaccinated.

The study opened on the same day as the US vaccination programme, 14 December 2020, and most of the people vaccinated received their first shot within two weeks. The first week of January 2021 saw the highest rate of daily new infections yet seen in the US, about 250, 000 a day. Researchers stopped collecting data on 13 March.

Participants were taught to swab themselves once a week and also when they felt any symptoms, shipping the swabs on cold packs for laboratory polymerase chain reaction assay. Most infections (58%) were detected by weekly testing, but 87% of detected infections did ultimately produce covid-19 symptoms.

Of 172 infections detected, 161 occurred in the unvaccinated arm of the trial, which saw a rate of 1.38 infections per 1000 person days. Among participants who had received only one shot at least 14 days previously, the rate was 0.19 infections per 1000 person days. Among those who had received a second shot at least 14 days previously, it was 0.04 per 1000 person days"

So getting vaccinated vastly improves your odds of staying safe and healthy. And if you don't get infected, you can't infect anybody else either.

@Porcelain, I recall several statements in the last couple months that make this same point. Yes, it does confer immunity to the virus, especially the vaccines that we have available here in the U.S.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain 

I didn't get past the first sentence of what you quoted. Those stats were compiled through "the worst months of the pandemic". That is ancient history and only included certain variants.

I recently read an article that stated while vaccines reduced infections by 90% for one variant, that prevention was reduced to 70-72% for a newer variant. We currently have no idea if our vaccines protect us from the India variant and as I stated upthread protection is not lasting as long as was anticipated. That means in a few short many many of us might be  unprotected.

Oh and one more thing, that last sentence "if you don't get infected you can't infect anyone else." That is so not true.