Respected Contributor

Re: Are things back to normal?

Someone sent me this...Crazy!

Ohio vaccine lottery: Free 4-year college tuition for kids, $1 million for adults

May 12th

FOX8news..

COLUMBUS (WJW) — In an effort to get more people vaccinated against covid-19 across the state, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced two separate drawings for kids 12 to 17 and adults 18 and up, offering some pretty impressive incentives.

Now that, starting tomorrow, kids as young as 12 can get the vaccine, the state is now offering those young people who are vaccinated a chance to win a full-ride scholarship to any state school of their choice, including room and board and books.

Kids can get signed up for the drawing starting May 18 on an electronic portal. The plan is to announce a winner for the scholarships for five Wednesdays in a row, starting May 26. Each student is going to be picked at random.

Adults on the other hand have the chance, also starting May 26 and running for five weeks each Wednesday, to win $1 million for getting at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccine. More details are to come tomorrow, DeWine said...

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Someone sent me this...Crazy!

Ohio vaccine lottery: Free 4-year college tuition for kids, $1 million for adults

May 12th

FOX8news..

COLUMBUS (WJW) — In an effort to get more people vaccinated against covid-19 across the state, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced two separate drawings for kids 12 to 17 and adults 18 and up, offering some pretty impressive incentives.

Now that, starting tomorrow, kids as young as 12 can get the vaccine, the state is now offering those young people who are vaccinated a chance to win a full-ride scholarship to any state school of their choice, including room and board and books.

Kids can get signed up for the drawing starting May 18 on an electronic portal. The plan is to announce a winner for the scholarships for five Wednesdays in a row, starting May 26. Each student is going to be picked at random.

Adults on the other hand have the chance, also starting May 26 and running for five weeks each Wednesday, to win $1 million for getting at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccine. More details are to come tomorrow, DeWine said...

I think that it's wonderful, @MorningLover. The more, the merrier so that we can approach numbers that will more likely protect us all and reduce the spread of variants.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If you win that lottery in Ohio, it is required that you get the vaccine the day you are announced as the winner.

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@pitdakota 

Ah, always the voice of reason and information. Thank you for sharing. 

In a recent (May) Forbes article I believe it stated two doses of the Moderna vaccine (considered to be the cadillac) has been identified as providing protection for 6 months which could then mean the other vaccines might not provide protection for that length of time. Understood we cannot foretell the future, but when did trials start? I suspect well before they were made available to the public and that might be how this information is gathered?

In an article published by the CDC May 7th it stated:

• This science brief has been updated to reflect current knowledge about SARS-CoV-2 transmission and reformatted to be more concise.
  • Modes of SARS-CoV-2 transmission are now categorized as inhalation of virus, deposition of virus on exposed mucous membranes, and touching mucous membranes with soiled hands contaminated with virus.
  • Although how we understand transmission occurs has shifted, the ways to prevent infection with this virus have not. All prevention measures that CDC recommends remain effective for these forms of transmission.

Am I incorrect in thinking I could unknowingly be the uninfected carrier

transmitting the virus from one infected person to another through mucous membranes (say from an asymtomatic grandchild to a husband)?

While I try to stay abreast of new information with regard to Covid, I will always defer to an expert like you. My concern is some people seem to think once vaccinated all is good. I read an interview from the beginning of February? where Dr. Osterholm stated "our darkest days are yet to come". Perhaps he was speaking more globally with the tragedy that is occurring in India, but still...

Again pitdakota thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. I truly appreciate that we can learn from you.

@magicmoodz   Both Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines.  They both use the same technology of the messenger RNA vehicle to achieve immune response.  I believe both Pfizer and Moderna started their phase 3 clinical trials basically around the same time which would have been late July 2020 and ran them through Oct. 2020.

During the phase 3 clinical trials the emphasis would have been on efficacy and safety in the vaccinated subjects as compared to those in the study that received the placebo.  The focus would not include testing for antibodies but monitoring for infection, severity of infection, rate of hospitalization, death due to covid, side effects related to the vaccine, etc.  

At the conclusion of the phase 3 trials they sometimes ask participants that were vaccinated to participate in ongoing evaluation to determine immune response when they are dealing with a vaccine given in this type of a situation with infections continuing to occur in the general population.  Meaning that they would not start to look at antibody levels in vaccinated individuals that participated in the phase 3 trials until  after Oct. 2020. 

I don't have specific information about how either company has detailed their plans to conduct antibody titers in their study participants, but I can reasonably assume they probably didn't have enough people vaccinated until at least the end of August to participate in blood draws for antibody titers.  They need a fairly large sample size for data. Then for example they would draw titers on those vaccinated in August probably at 6 months ( Feb), 12 months (August).  They could opt to do an evaluation between those times, it just depends on theirr plan and the money available for the study.

I do know there is a study going here that enrolled nurses and doctors vaccinated in Jan. 2021 to evaluate antibody levels and they will have their first lab samples drawn late August 2021.  They don't start counting the month toward 6 months until Feb. because they need to have a large cohort of subjects vaccinated all the way through the month of Jan.  Then they start counting the months.  So those vaccinated in Jan & Feb. will have lab samples drawn at the end of August to evaluate antibody levels at 6 months for that group here.   

So what all that means is that when they report the vaccine is effective for 6 months at this time, that is the longest period of time they have been able to assess antibody levels.  It doesn't mean that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months.  I suspect they will be putting some money behind more studies to look at antibody levels as those participants approach the 12 month mark since the possibility of needing another vaccine is possible.  They will just have to determine when the immune response in vaccinated individuals most typically starts to fade in order to determine more about further vaccination.

A carrier is infected, so they do have the disease.  They are just not symptomatic and therefore don't have any signs of having the disease.  But the carrier still has the virus. Asymptomatic transmission with covid-19 has been an issue from the beginning of our experience with this pandemic.  It is probably one of the biggest data points that changed guidance for requiring the public to wear masks.

If one is sick, they are generally at home not feeling well.  They aren't out and about eating, going bowling, going to church, going to movies, etc.  So that became a huge issue last spring with the discovery of just how much asymptomatic transmission was occurring from infected people being out and about and spreading it to others.  Probably the greatest risk of transmission with SARS-CoV-2 is respiratory droplet or the aersolization of the virus in the air.  That is why we saw so many cases from contact tracing that was happening in restaurants, bars, churches, etc.    Asymptomatic people in those settings are talking, laughing, or in the case of church.....singing  which emits a tremendous viral load into the air that can then infect others, especially in smaller venues.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

It appears to be where I am save for hospital and doctor offices.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota 

You are a natural teacher and I suspect you were vertpy successful in your career.

Here is more from Forbes:

Booster Shots For mRNA Vaccines Likely Required Within Six Months To Protect Against Covid-19 Variants

A new preprint study conducted by Moderna describes both the hope and challenge of booster vaccines as an approach to the solution to the problem of variants. Their booster shots appear to be effective at neutralizing at least two of the new variants, B.1.351 and P.1. But importantly, their preprint study also revealed the first-generation Moderna vaccine doesn’t protect against the variants for as long as we initially hoped.

pitdakota, the article is long and difficult for me to comprehend, but it might be something you would be interested in reading given your expertise. Granted it states the booster is needed for variants and I am not well informed of how many variants are swirling around out there.

If I spoke erroneously about the ability to act as a conduit of sorts transmitting infection from one person to another without being personally infected I apologize. But that is how I interpret this. I could have droplets/aerosols of someone's infection on my hands (soiled) and transmit to someone else's mucous membranes thereby infecting them.

Modes of SARS-CoV-2 transmission are now categorized as inhalation of virus, deposition of virus on exposed mucous membranes, and touching mucous membranes with soiled hands contaminated with virus.

I think I know just enough to be dangerous and not enough to be truly informed.🥴

Respected Contributor

Thank you @magicmoodz, for the article.  I enjoyed reading it.  Yes, this research article is dealing with the topic of the ability of current mRNA vaccines to deal with the major variants circulating out there:  UofK variant, South Africa, and Brazil.

However, the article states  "Although a neutralizing antibody titer threshold predictive of protection from SARS-CoV-2 infection is not currently known, the reduction in in vitro neutralizing antibody titers against some variants relative to the prototype strain, raises the possibility of breakthrough infections and waning efficacy for current SARS-CoV-2 vaccines".     

So the authors of the article are discussing that although we don't know in actuality (real world) what the end protection of vaccination is at the current time,  in vitro examination of current vaccines against the variants are not as effective.  In vitro literally means along the lines of in the test tube.  

So what they are doing is evaluating 3 different categories:  1 group is vaccinated with one booster, 1 group is vaccinated with another type of booster which is more of a multi-variant type of booster.  They then draw lab samples from vaccinated individuals at certain intervals.  They clone cells and then infect those cells with a certain variant of SARS-CoV-2.  Once they have infected cells they infuse those with the lab samples drawn from participants and through a complicated process they evaluate the ability of the antibodies in the participants lab specimen react with the infected cell.  

Their results in vitro, when infected cells were exposed to blood samples drawn before the booster, there was decreased effectiveness of antibody activity for certain variants.  The authors state the research is not completed, but at time of press after participants had received either booster, lab examination of antibody activity of infected cells with blood from participants that were taken 2 weeks after the administration of the booster resulted in increased antibody activity against variants. 

They will probably publish more specific information as their study continues.  So in the meantime, they will monitor effectiveness of the vaccine in terms of how many vaccinated individuals are infected with the variants and also continue in vitro research.  It is highly likely that a booster will be recommended.

But all that is different than saying that the current vaccine only lasts 6 months.  It is certainly effective for the strain it was made to target and they will continue to monitor about "tweaking" a booster to more specifically address the newer variants that are circulating in certain regional areas and make recommendations on booster vaccinations.  Fact is, they just don't know but they are following it, researching it, and will make a determination based on observation and data.

I hope that makes sense.   All this really gets down into the weeds, but it is great that people are interested and following the information! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz, in terms of the modes of transmission....it is really what we always thought and is similar to most other viral respiratory infections.  Major modes of transmission is respiratory droplet and some contact transmission can occur also.

In the example that you give such as you having contaminated hands from an infected person and then transmitting the virus to someone else via your hands to someone else's mucuous membranes, that isn't really what this is saying.  

The CDC specifically states 

deposition of respiratory droplets and particles on exposed mucous membranes in the mouth, nose, or eye by direct splashes and sprays.    That means one can become  infected if someone infected sneeze or coughs directly on them exposing that person's mouth, nose, or eyes via the spray.  This is why many in covid testing areas wear a mask and goggles or mask, goggles, and a full face shield.

The other one "(3) touching mucous membranes with hands that have been soiled either directly by virus-containing respiratory fluids or indirectly by touching surfaces with virus on them   means that if you have hands that have come in contact with the virus and have the virus on your hands and then rub your eyes, nose, or get them close to your mouth you can transfer the virus from your hands to your mucous membranes.   Although theorectically possible, it is really not that probable that you would transfer the virus from your hands to someone else unless the timing is exactly right that the virus is still viable on your hands after exposure and you have direct contact with rubbing someone else's eyes or placing your fingers in someone else's mouth or nose.  It is more the risk to you.  Virus on your hands, hands to your face (nose, eyes, mouth) virus enters your body. 

By the way, thank you for your kind comments.  We are all in this together and learning as we go.  One thing about a pandemic with a previously unknown virus is that we learn as we go along.  Which is a good thing!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota 

Thank you for explaining in "layman's terms" so even the most uneducated of us can comprehend.

I think it would be interesting to know of those currently becoming  infected what is the breakdown of the original SARS versus newer variants. If that even makes sense. For instance yesterday my state reported over 1,000 new infections. Are we still seeing mostly the first detected SARS or are we seeing several variants that make up this number? That information might help to determine how confident we can be that we are fully protected with our vaccines, especially given the new CDC no mask guidelines.

As you can see, I have a keen interest in this topic, but can go down the proverbial rabbit hole. Thank you for always sharing your knowledge.

Respected Contributor

Wow, bribing kids parents to get the kids vaccinate.  Not cool in my book.