Honored Contributor

Are Your Views Influenced by Poll Numbers?

I was recently polled by phone regarding my opinion on a local school district referendum.  Even if my answers to the questions concur with a minority of the respondents, I don't think my opinion will change on this issue.  Do you have an opinion about the influence of polling results?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Your Views Influenced by Poll Numbers?

They don't influence me unless it is about something I have read about but don't know that much about. 

Like if all the teachers  or some group are voting for something, I'll  look into it more based on their opinion and probably go with it if it benefits them and I'm okay with that solution. if that makes sense.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

No.  I make my own decisions based on my own views, beliefs, studies, and wishes for the future.  Polls mean nothing to me. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

No.  

Honored Contributor

Not at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

What Preds said.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My views aren't influenced by poll numbers.

I used to prepare statistical analyses for a major medical center, and learned how many variables there are.  (I had the quote, attributed to many sources, in my office:  "There are three kinds of lies: lies, dam-ed lies, and statistics."  That says it all.Smiley)

Polls can sway to and fro depending upon what the questions are, how they're phrased, etc.  So, unfortunately, I'm too skeptical.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

My views aren't influenced by poll numbers.

I used to prepare statistical analyses for a major medical center, and learned how many variables there are.  (I had the quote, attributed to many sources, in my office:  "There are three kinds of lies: lies, dam-ed lies, and statistics."  That says it all.Smiley)

Polls can sway to and fro depending upon what the questions are, how they're phrased, etc.  So, unfortunately, I'm too skeptical.

I suspected that this occured.

Respected Contributor

I also agree with Preds, also there are times when I feel the poll respondents believe the "hype" that has gone on & not necessarily the facts.

Honored Contributor

@spix wrote:

I also agree with Preds, also there are times when I feel the poll respondents believe the "hype" that has gone on & not necessarily the facts.

I think this is true as well. So everyone really has to research the facts; the truth behind it all to make a decision based on that, not polls or popular opinion or hype-the same I feel we should do with all things and people and situations.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"