Trusted Contributor

Re: Are You a Defensive Driver?

AAA will give you a discount if you take an AARP driving class.  Many places offer a one day class or you can do it online.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I am a defensive driver.

I think AARP still offers this course.  I took it years ago and it was held on two consecutive mornings.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut   Holy Leapin' Lizards..........I also had a '70 Mustang.......that I drove for 33 years.    I wanted to be buried in that car (but I'd have to buy too many plots.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

You know what surprised me? I thought a person would be a discount for having a dashcam but our insurance co. said no!

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

You know what surprised me? I thought a person would be a discount for having a dashcam but our insurance co. said no!

@YorkieonmyPillow

While I think a dashcam is a good tool to help find who was at fault in an accident, I don't see where it has much to do with how a person drives.  

If they would make a good one that is "inside a rearview mirror", I would probably go with one. All of them I have seen would block and/or distract my view. I am a stickler when it comes to seeing everything I can, and want nothing that even hints a blocking even a minute' part of my view.

Driving record? Yes. Anti-theft device? Yes. Defensive Driving Course? Yes.  Don't see a dashcam preventing anything, or having anything to do with how a person drives.

Just my opinion of course.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Don't get me started on what these stupid insurance companies try to make us do in the name of "saving money". 

My insurance company must  know by now I'm a good driver, never a wreck in 47 years.    

Honored Contributor

well i hate driving and am looking forward to living someplace where i don't have to. right now i live 15 minutes away from everything i need including for medical needs, so i do drive in a very tight radius. i have seen so many near misses from other drivers that are distracted and it scares me beyond. i take the bus if i go to any of the malls and NEVER drive in snow, so 1 less ninny off the roads .not into cars and think the price for them and their upkeep is a travisty; insurance is an

expensive neccessary evil.  would rather take those many thousands of $$ and live comfortably. no i'm not a grouchy old biddy, just know that i am not the driving kind of person.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Don't get me started on what these stupid insurance companies try to make us do in the name of "saving money". 

My insurance company must  know by now I'm a good driver, never a wreck in 47 years.    

@software

I'm with you on insurance companies. A quick story about mine. From 1955 to 1964 I paid $1,000 per year for a $500 deductible liability policy. Why? My mother did not drive/I was not married, and I was not 25 years old. Not sure of your age, but $1,000 back in those times was a big chunk of what I earned.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutNo it has nothing to do with how one drives but if a person has video of who did what, they might escape someone cheating their insurance co....that was my thought.....