Honored Contributor

Re: Are You In The FBI Face-recognition Database?

[ Edited ]

Actually, since many Tom, D*cks, and Harriets out there already have most of our info anyway, I'd rather have somebody official/beneficial have it instead.   Keeps the honest people honest, and the others, well.............maybe keeps them a bit less dishonest.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

many of the images were given to the FBI by facebook so if you posted pictures on facebook and identified the people in the pictures, all those pictures and associated names are  now in the FBI database.

Lovely! Glad I don't do Facebook, or have people posting my picture.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

many of the images were given to the FBI by facebook so if you posted pictures on facebook and identified the people in the pictures, all those pictures and associated names are  now in the FBI database.

@Mominohio

how do you know there are no pictures of you on facebook?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

the FBI can have as many pictures of me that they want. Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yeah there was a big expose about it on NPR about a year ago. There are also cameras at most big sporting events looking for and identifying people based on this information obtained through Facebook. Kind of eye opening actually.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I've been fingerprinted (worked at the Pentagon in a secure area) and I've traveled all over Europe (passport).

I'm 70 this year so at this point it doesn't bother me.  If I get to where I can't find my way back home maybe my daughter can call them and they can put out my picture!

I have friends who are very paranoid about everything.  They won't order anything on line, pay cash for everything, don't have caller ID or listed phone number, don't belong to FB, don't use computer and on and on.

I think the key here is balance. We all know that there is no 'privacy' anymore. Just about anything the government wants to know about you, they will.

That said, I don't knock people who do things to stay under the radar. One doesn't have to be 'hiding' anything or be guilty of anything, and they aren't necessarily paranoid, just because they'd rather big brother didn't know everything about them, where they spend their money, on what etc.

I grew up in a time where people's private business was just that, THEIR private business. Nothing clandestine about it, it was just what people expected and could actually achieve, to some degree.

We have become a nation of sharing..........everything. And in doing so, strangers, the government, businesses etc. all know way more about us than some of us know about ourselves! 

In my opinion, not always a good thing.

Respected Contributor

I probably am.  I hope they used my Passport photo because I had a good hair day.  I always hate my drivers license pics.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

My passport photo is better than my drivers license pic too! lol
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Believe me you're on fb! Families and friends love to show photos of their loved ones. Besides if a police department needed to see your photo they look up your driver's license and if they really want to get any information they look up friend's and family's fb pages too.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mominohio

how do you know there are no pictures of you on facebook?

I rarely am in photos, and they are usually only photos that I have in my possession.

I don't get into group shots or let others take my picture (like at a family get together, unless it is my camera someone is using), never been part of a selfie (HA!). I take a lot of pictures, but I rarely pose for one. 

There might be some rare picture out there that someone has snapped and posted, but it would most likely be because I got in some strangers background somewhere, not because of people I know are sharing pictures of me.

And maybe some obscure cousin has posted vintage family photos when I was a child or something on their facebook page for a Throwback Thursday or something that I'm not aware of, but one would be hard pressed to find anyone who had posted a pic of me.