Valued Contributor

Re: Are Shooping Channels Phasing Out?

@stevieb You said it perfectly.  You and several others posters have nailed what I consider these home shopping channels to cause their own demise.  With the vast inventory of products at QVC they constantly show the same handful of products ad nauseum.  Does QVC really need 2 hosts and a vendor to push a $60 pair of polyester jogging pants--sometimes for 6 or 7 hours a day?

While  I shop a lot at Amazon, I do have mixed feelings about them becoming almost a monopoly.  But Amazon's CS and shipping is unbelievably efficient and I don't even have Prime anymore.  As an example, I needed some Wacoal bras.  I tried HerRoom but was put on hold for so long I just gave up and ordered on Amazon.  QVC carries about 8 sizes in Wacoal.

This is a fast-paced world and younger, working shoppers are NOT going to watch an hour long spiel about  a set of sheets that's going to change their lives.  

Frequent Contributor

When you speak to my nieces who are millennials....they don't even know what QVC is.

It's the older generation that is keeping QVC going.  Once they are gone....good bye shopping channels. I agree, young people do not want to sit and watch someone selling on tv.  They don't have the patience.  They want to get on their phones, look the item up, press a button and purchase.

Respected Contributor

My niece worked as an intern at the Q several years ago when she was in college.  They tried to hire her twice, right out of the gate.  She turned them down and is now running an advertising department in a national company.  I think she made a wise career choice.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

TV shopping is for sure on the way out. The days of sitting in front of a TV for hours on end are done. Young people watch very little TV, they are consumed by their digital media, their mobile phones, and watching what they want when they want to on their own time schedule. I also think that there's a myth that they have a ton of money to spend as they are dealing with high housing costs.

I think a lot of people have made good points about millennials wanting to be frugal or at least more frugal than their parents and they don't want to be drowning in stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@blondiechick wrote:

When you speak to my nieces who are millennials....they don't even know what QVC is.

It's the older generation that is keeping QVC going.  Once they are gone....good bye shopping channels. I agree, young people do not want to sit and watch someone selling on tv.  They don't have the patience.  They want to get on their phones, look the item up, press a button and purchase.

I agree!!

I attended 2 Bridal showers recently and they wanted Amazon gift cards.....not QVC...

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

That's a bazaar thought

I’d LOVE  to think that bazaars might make a comeback, but unfortunately for me, our local climate would only support them 6 months out of the year.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think home shopping channels have become too stagnant. They need more variety if they're to survive. Amazon now has a home shopping channel type format on my Fire TV where they show "Today's Deals Live" and other live streams. They have friendly, personable hosts, good prices, and fast shipping. At this very moment they're showing the Oster Beehive Blender at a good price that I could have in a day or two. They have a carousel at the bottom that lets you preview what's coming up. Now they're showing the Dash hand mixer for $17.99. You get the advantages of Amazon with the benefits of home TV shopping. 

Home shopping channels relied on viewers developing relationships with hosts, but now Amazon is playing that same game and better. They move from product to product faster, have more variety, and with Prime Day coming up they're apt to get a lot of viewers for Prime Day. And now they're onto a Cuisinart cookware set. They have friendly, knowledgable hosts, move from product to product quickly, have good prices, fast shipping, and a wild variety of items for sale.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't even understand the question.  I think shopping channels and bigger, better and more popular than ever.   However, time marches on and the shopping channels aren't just "channels" on tv anymore.   Many, if not most, no longer sit and watch them on tv for hours and hours every week.   Now we might drop in for half hour hear or half hour there and some shoppers never ever look at them on tv.  Their websites are booming and user friendly and fun.  Hosts are "leaving" but it's a no brainer that the they are all clearing out the dead wood as all successful businesses must do from time to time.  Businesses have to let go of their less productive employees.  Also, the shopping channels have the challenge of brining in younger hosts to attract younger and affluent  shoppers.....while at the same time keeping their established customers.  I think they are still trying to figrue out how to do that.  If shopping channels were in danger, would QVC/HSN be selling stuff on 6 channels now?   I do find the references to "social media" interesting and it's possible that some of the popular ones who have fan bases will follow the Lisa Robertson model or try to anyway.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think there are times were shopping channels are great.  Example,  when Skinn was in Evine.  I found that it was cheaper to get the top value kits, esp. if they were supersized (his AM/PM cleansers) then if you bought the items off the Skinn website (meaning their regular size).  Even accounting for Evines awful shipping charges. 

Same with certain items off QVC or HSN.  Like Vionic, Tweak-d, or Beekman (well, just their wipes) are cheaper than going to their websites (depending if they are on special that day or not). Plus with HSN sometimes I get 10% off coupons and free shipping.  

I do like watching the Aussie guy (I always forget his name) from Vionic,  Dennis from Tweak-d, Brent and Josh from Beekman, and Demteri from Skinn.  Only downside most of the items  being on HSN (other than Vionic and I have seen Dennis on QVC) is that if the vendors listed get paired with Bobbie Jo, I won't watch as I can't stand her.