Honored Contributor

Re: Archie Means 'Truly Brave'

@jonbon wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

The meaning is lovely but unfortunately no one will be thinking about the meaning of the name after next week.  So much better to have a nice name than a nice meaning. Oh well, their baby.

And who is to decide what a "nice name" is??

Certain people of the QVC forums I guess? The Meghan/name police? 

My Mom gave me a name that you don't hear that often, it had a special meaning to her. Growing up I didn't like that it was not common. But now I really like having a more unique name. And now that I've lost my Mom I love my name even more.

I have the feeling that Archie will be very impish like his Dad was as a little one, and Archie will suit him well.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of the name Archie. All I can think of his the comic book character or Archie Bunker. Harrison would have been wonderful as a first name, perhaps putting Archibald in as a second name...but I understand his name is simply Archie.
Honored Contributor

But he never went by Archie !
Honored Contributor

At least I am relieved to know he was t named some of the ones that I have seen circulated....Marvin?😬
Esteemed Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@golding76
Do you remember Archie Comic Books? Archie was a redhead! Or...as they say in Britain, "a ginger!"
I love your comments!

Maybe they both watch Riverdale, filmed in Canada. That is loosely based on the characters from the comic books. 

Honored Contributor

Archie.jpg

Honored Contributor

We Yanks have a very different hierarchy of approved names than the Brits do.  They have a strong affinity for so-called "fuddy-duddy" names, only a few of which have made the cut in North America.  ("Mabel" became hot in hipster circles here for a while, but not "Flossie" or "Nell", as much.) 

And the aristocrats also love giving jolly diminutives, or nicknames, as given formal names.  (Just one example--  Diana's brother, Charles, gave one of his daughters as her given name "Kitty",  not its formal iteration, "Katherine".)

You can find "Albie" and "Charlie" as given names, as well as "Archie".

For girls, the Brits lean to botanical names, mythological names and fancy "foreign" names---  Jonquil, Minerva, Araminta, Allegra, etc.   For boys, it's been what's called "Norman Conquest" names, ("Richard", etc.),  the trad'l New Testament names ("Paul", "Peter" and so on) and certain approved names from Scotland (weirdly, "Alasdair" and "Hamish" were long considered good, but "Angus" has been considered a bit down-market.  But that can change in an instant.)

My beloved wild Welsh names are shunned by the aristos, and ditto for most Irish ones...

For anyone interested in all these crazy permutations, "The Sloane Ranger Handbook" is a fun read, as is Rosenkranz and Satran's  "Beyond Charles and Diana-- An Anglophile's Guide to Baby Naming".   (There might be a later edition called "Beyond Sophie and...."   but I'm not sure.)  Right on page 7, it lists "Archie" as a hot baby name!   And that book came out in 1992!

All these years later,  "Archie" still hadn't made it here yet as a cool name, but I bet it will now...  

Honored Contributor

Well...no matter what his name...he is a beautiful baby!

Honored Contributor

@Love to Run 

@Love to Run wrote:

The sweetest sound for one to hear is his or her own name.

Dale Carnegie

It is far less important what others think of his name than the meaning his parents impart to his name.

You are sooo right,

Honored Contributor

People sometimes forget that Harry's given name is Henry. They never could have called William by a different name, but they could do that with Harry. Maybe they'll do that with Archie, maybe not.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"