Respected Contributor

Re: Appetizer Recipes, please

I would do a tray of finger sandwiches, some without meat and some with. maybe a vegertable platter? as far as a beverage, unsweetend tea, supple sweetner for those who want it. Have fun!

Super Contributor

Zucchini & bisquick squares, easy to make , bake and cut . 13x9 pan. Cut them in squares , Easy to eat and pick up. These are good too.

Esteemed Contributor

Some Co-workers and their friends/relatives had a card club where they would meet once a month and play cards.  I would sub every so often.  It was also a meal so the hostess had anything and everything.  It was set up in the kitchen and we had small individual plates where we would munch and as soon as a hand was over, you would get up and refill if you wanted more.  We had chili in small bowls w/ crackers, sandwiches, mac & cheese, cheese & crackers, veggies & dip....the standard stuff.  I would think pulled pork sliders would be good.  We also had chocolate but it was usually M&M's but other candy was usually available.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

I’m a “senior” (73) , and , just say’n, am capable of eating perfectly normal food 😄!  No prob with nuts and seeds, salt ; no dentures ...  can manage chocolate without spilling it all over myself or anyone else. Probably no need to overthink this; just find a nice, reasonable manageable appetizer you like, and go for it....! 😏

Esteemed Contributor

Put frozen meatballs into an electric warmer (crockpot) and make a sauce of equal parts grape jelly and yellow mustard.  Year through before serving with toothpicks.  I've been serving this for 45 years and it's always a bit ( sometimes serve it over noodles).

Esteemed Contributor

Like @dodies, I'm a senior as well, and have normal eating habits! (Loved your post @dodies). If I'm playing cards, I wouldn't want anything messy or sticky - I need my fingers clean to play my cards. I'd like small munchy items with something to put them on, e.g., small paper plate or napkin. How about a trail mix blend with some nuts and fruits, or one with crunchy things like pretzels, cheeze-its, nuts, etc. It'd be nice to have 2 options - one sweet and one salty, or have one that has both combined. Keep it simple. We all know what we can eat and what we should avoid!

Trusted Contributor

I know both my parents in their later years, really enjoyed sweets. I always brought them cookies and they ate them right away!! 

Honored Contributor

The first thing that popped into my head was mini pigs in a blanket as my mom just loved them.  There are also many Chex mix recipes that are delicious too both sweet and savory.

Honored Contributor

I would make small cups of snack mix they have eat easily by themselves; goldfish crackers, m&ms, cheezits, small pretzels.
I think if you just avoid anything too gooey or spicy they would love it all. The Pinwheels are always good and you can put anything at all in them. I have used chicken salad, cream cheese and mild green chiles....diced ham and shredded cheddar, etc. Cream cheese and pineapple is usually a hit also.